Returning clothes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Peninha • Jan 2, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So I had this situation in Benetton this week that made me wonder. I went to return some two jackets my kids received for Christmas, each one cost 19,95€, but the lady said I could exchange them only for clothing 13€ value because everything was 30% off. In practice I could exchange for an item that cost the same, but if the original jacket cost 19,95, shouldn't I be able to change for something of the same value?

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    30 percent off meaning that it got a 30 percent discount when bought or their policy is that everything returned are taken back with a 30 percent reduction? Either way, you won't get back the value of 19.95. If it's the former then it should be the price that was paid, not the actual price, and if it's the latter, it should be clearly written on the receipt unless it's not stated prior, maybe you can dispute.

3. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes that right they will not do that in alot stores if the items arr on sale and u returned them u wont get paid the purchase price. Walmart does that here . Lots of people be upset but it really in their policy.

4. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    You would think that you would be able to do an even exchange, but when I did an exchange at Target, they gave me a gift card for less value as opposed to an even exchange on the jeans and all I needed was one size bigger.

5. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    To me, Benetton store reps should offer you a clothing item of equal value to what you are returning. However, with this said, it's important to research their return policy. Some retailers are great - they let you return anything no questions asked and give you cash back. Some retailers suck - they are picky about returns and then only allow exchanges.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, most stores will accept item exchanges of the same value as long as it's within 7 days from date of purchase. Too bad it's not the case with Benetton. Did you purchase the jackets as a discounted item or not? Since I'm also wondering why they would only allow a €13 exchange value.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, actually it was a gift from my mother to my kids for Christmas, she bought it in November, so that was why I didn't made a fuss about it, the return deadline was expired. The issue was that she paid 19,95 and with 30% discount that makes the 13 something they said I could exchange for, it was the same price at the end. I just think (if it wasn't for the deadline issue) I could have exchanged it for something of that value in sale (meanining 19,95 already with 30% discount).

8. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I think if everything in the store was 30% off then you are effectively getting the same value back that you mother paid, since something that used to be the value she paid is now 13 something.
    If you could demand your money back then you could get what she paid and then simply turn around and purchase it for the 30% off, but you said that deadline had expired so no luck there.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly, it was fair enough deal because the return deadline was expired and they were nice to accept it back, but if the deadline was not expired it think I would have asked for them to pay full price. It does seem a bad deal for the stores tough, imagine that I buy something at the 23rd December and on the 26th I return it, I earn an easy 30%! Maybe this is not possible at all... :confused:

10. kristinaw

kristinawNew Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately that is the policy in many, many shops these days. I don't like it, but that's the way it is. Why are you exchanging these items? (I know, a little off topic).

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was changing them because my mother is already 71 and doesn't has the best ideas, she bought my kids jackets without asking if they actually needed the jackets (they didn't) and on top of that she bought the jackets as Christmas gifts, but she did it in November, so in December already the return date has expired, luckily all ended well. :)

12. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Stores should have a two month policy around Christmas to avoid these situations, if the store hadn't been nice, you could have gotten stuck with the jackets.

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never had such problem and as a consumer I agree two months is a much better return period, but I also understand the stores point of view, what will they do with a winter jacket returned in february or march for example? For stock next year with a new collection. I think one month it's a reasonable period, as long as my mum doesn't buy the gifts one month ahead lol! :)

14. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    Wasn't there a way for you to wait until the sales period was over? From the store's point of view it makes sense to only offer you something equal to the current value of the product you're returning. If they were to sell the jackets to someone else, they would only get 13$ for it. It's just like trying to sell an old computer today for the same price you bought it 5-6 years ago. Nobody would pay the same amount today even though when you bought it it was the latest generation of computers.

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I waited for the sales period to be over the return period would be more than expired. Now that I think of it, it was not a bad solution, the store actually changed the clothes for the value I paid, I just didn't benefit the sales period, we can't have the best of two worlds. :)