Returning items you find cheaper.

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by leyash • Jul 11, 2012.

1. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    Have any of you ever bought something somewhere, then found the exact same thing, cheaper somewhere, and returned the other item? I am not proud to say that I have, but I have. I found an item that I wanted and purchased it for $250. I then saw it, about a week later, elsewhere, for $129. I took the item back to the first place, and purchased it at the second. I would do this again in a heartbeat if it meant that I only spend half.

2. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Ive done that a few times. Why cheat yourself?

If I see something cheaper elsewhere and I have my receipt, you better believe I'm bringing that item back and getting it cheaper at the other place.

3. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I have never done it myself personally. I don't have anything against it I just haven't been fortunate to discover such bargains. I do know of someone though that bought a shirt and then a week later she discovered the same item being on sale so she promptly returned it to the store and bought the identical shirt on sale.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt - or dress, or trousers. I've done this several times, and I don't feel in the least guilty for doing it. If a store can afford to reduce an item by half its origingal price or more, then the mark up is way too high in the first place. I don't say that's why I'm returning it, though, in case they refuse. I'll usually say I didn't have time to try it on, and when I got it back it was too large or small, or didn't really suit me.

If I'm saying I'm returning it for size, I'll check the rails first to make sure there isn't a smaller/ larger size available. It's not as if the store is going to lose money on it, as I'm returning an item that's fit for resale. They're just losing out on a little profit.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have returned something without hesitation. I would do it again especially if it was a big difference.

6. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    never done it before but if i'm in that situation, I will definitely return the item (if the shop will allow) can't turn my back on a nice bargain. I'm curious though, are there shops that let you return the item and give your money back? Some shops i know only allow exchange of item policy.

7. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    No. I have not done that. Yet. I have seen stuff cheaper than the price that I had paid...but it was never a significant amount, so I never bothered. However, if I were in such a situation and the saving could potentially be substantial. I would do it with no hesitation, whatsoever. It would be the prudent thing to do, for sure.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I would do it if I encountered it, sure...especially if it was such a drastic price drop like that. I can't think of anything I'd pay $250 for in the first place, but you better believe I'd return it in a heart beat if it was less than half somewhere else. Geesh!

9. missnc35

missnc35Member

Threads:
    I do that when I shop at Target. I will buy something at Target and find it at Walmart for at least a dollar cheaper. If I have time, I will return the item. I have to admit that sometimes I don't bother, but only when I am truly busy. I love saving money so I try to get my money's worth all the time.

10. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    The item I found was some design stuff for my husband. He's in school for web design, and there are things that he needs, so when I find it, I grab it. Well worth it for us. Don't spend anywhere near that on anything else, other than for school.

11. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't done it but I wouldn't hesitate if the opportunity arouse! Who wants to spend more money on something they can get cheaper! it doesn't make much sense! As someone said, if the shop can afford to reduce it so much, it cost way too much to start with!! Well done those who have made savings! :)

12. theaaa

theaaaNew Member

Threads:
    I personally haven't tried it. But I probably would, if I were in that situation. I have to ask, though, which stores let you return the item and give you your money back? Most stores I know only have an exchange policy -- you have to get another thing from their store of equal value.

13. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    Most all stores here do. Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Fry's.

14. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    No, that has never happened to me, unfortunately. I'm a smart consumer and only purchase items that are quite low in price. So, for example, if I see a jacket that is $50 and I wait for it to go down to $20 and it does then I'll purchase it. Nowhere else is going to have that same price. Of course, if it did happen then I'd return it and buy the other.

15. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I have done it on bigger ticket items but can't be bothered on smaller stuff. I just bought a dehumidifier and the store had a larger one for $30 more on sale a few days later. It was the better deal for a better product but I couldn't have been bothered boxing it up and dragging it back.

16. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    If I find a big ticket item on sale that I bought then I will return it for a better price. I see nothing wrong with that because you are saving yourself some money that you can spend on something else. But if it's really a smaller priced item then I will let that go and the next time I need that item I will check whatever store to purchase it cheaper.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No I haven't done that yet and I'll probably never will, because the stores here only exchange your item if I'm not mistaken. They don't give refunds. It would be nice if they had the same policy as the stores in the US.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too. I hate feeling like I overpaid for something and didn't get the best deal for my money.If I can possibly return the item I overpaid for and get a better deal elsewhere, I'm definitely going for it.

To paraphrase a quote I heard on Extreme Couponing "Paying full price eats away at my soul."

#18Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  19. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I will return an item in a minute, but I always check to see how much I will save because sometimes, it may not be a good idea because you have to add up the amount of gas that you are using also to see if it's worth it to return the item.

20. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had an opportunity to do that but I wouldn't like to be cheated like that.. I would return it and tell them that their competitor is ready to sell it at a good price.