Reusable Bags=money!

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by ziska • Aug 8, 2016.

1. ziska

ziskaMember

Threads:
    Did you know that many stores pay you to use reusable shopping bags? Albertsons, Target, Whole Foods, all Kroger stores Trader Joes....There are so many who do it. It is usually about .5 to .10 cents per bag, but every little bit helps!

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I wish that was the case here! Here in the UK if you DON'T use a reusable bag you get charged. I've even found that by saying "I don't need a bag" they've added a charge on because I didn't use a bag which seems a bit silly. I always make sure to reuse my shopping bags anyway because it's better for the environment. I've never known anywhere to pay you to use them though. It'd be handy if they did do that here!

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They used to give you points in Tesco (Clubcard) and Sainsburys (Nectar), so that made up for it, and my dad would take in several bags to get more points! Now you have no choice, but no store should charge you if you don't have a bag, and if they did you should have told them otherwise. I've seen it happen and people have had their 5 or 10 pence back.

Some cashiers are lazy about the rebates though and won't put it through, and it's not worth the hassle for a nickel. It only happened to me once in Target and there was such a long line I just wanted to get out.

4. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's their way of promoting recycling. I really appreciate these kinds of actions by businesses in contributing to the good of our environment. :) There are grocery stores here in my area which give discounts and incentives for shoppers who use recycled or reusable bags when shopping. They don't give away cash but at least they do give discounts so it's a good motivation for me to use a reusable bag when I shop.

5. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the info, never knew that Target or Kroger participated in these type of programs. I remember there was a time where Kroger was trying to sell their reusable bags. I use reusable bags a lot when shopping at my neighborhood grocery stores. Looks like I might have to start venturing out to the local Kroger grocery store more often.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, that is good to know, Thanks Ziska. I have plenty of bags around too. I just forget to bring them in the store most of the time. Well, that is incentive to bring those bags in and utilize them. I have plenty, also I don't like to have plastic or paper bags sitting all over the house. I think next time I go to those stores I will bring the bag.