Reusing Empty Cans

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Jul 7, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are numerous ways to use empty cans and one of the best is using them as gardening pots. If you don't have much space at home and must choose between planting flowers/other ornamental plants or vegetables which will actually save you some money why not use empty cans as gardening pots? Plant your flowers in these "gardening pots" and place there where you wouldn't have your garden. This way you get both both veggies and flowers.

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a really good idea. Of course, I love ideas that repurpose or upcycle stuff that would be trashed otherwise, and I like saving money. So, you've hit both of those with this idea.

I've seen some pretty cute decorative ideas for using large cans as well. Some people just paint them or cover them with wallpaper, but I've seen them covered with stones or mosaics made from the pieces of broken plates and cups as well. I really like the latter, since it re-uses so many items.

Great topic, @Denis Hard@Denis Hard. I'm all for stuff like this.

3. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I re-use cans in other ways rather than as gardening pots, but this is a good use for them too.

I tend to use them for things like keeping pens in on my desk. I also use them when I'm painting things as water pots where I can clean out my brushes or for keeping my paint in. I've seen them punched out with candles in them too but I'd think it would be too hot to touch that way so I haven't done that myself.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I reuse cans to hold pens and small items. I also use them to melt my candles on my candle warmer. Another use for the old cans is to save them to hold old cooking oil that needs to be trashed when used cooking fish or other items that make alot of grease. Oil should not be poured down the drain, I let it set up in the can and dump it in the trash.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I collect cooking grease in a large coffee can. My mother did it, and it works just fine. Soda cans covered with contact paper can make excellent pen and pencil holders and I have seen some people make mobiles to be used outdoors out of soda cans. Re purpose and recycle as much as possible. The flower pot idea is good too!

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I alway save the larger (like #10 size) cans and re-use them as planting pots. Even the large size coffee containers work fine for planting thhings in, or storing dry food items, such as macaroni or rice.
    Pretty much, we save and reuse whatever can be used for some purpose again, and it does not make much sense to spend money buying containers and then throwing out perfectly good, usuable ones just because they aren't cutesy and pretty like the expensive ones.
    My cucumbers do not care at all if the pot is pretty ! !

7. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the idea! I have a bell pepper plant in my room that is in a 3 inch pot and needs some room. I just haven't had any time to go to the hardware store, but I do have a large coffee can in my recycling bin right now. I am thinking of painting it or decorating it with some washi tape.

8. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Of course, also, not only empty cans but old shelves and bars for vertical gardening. But be careful, not every vegetable crop is cheaper than buying
    it fresh from a store.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to reusing or recycling, we can earn a medal for that. We have an extra room here that we use for storage of anything like seldom used big cooking pots, pressure cooker, laundry items, etc. But the majority of items in that stock room are empty cans of all sizes, cartons and boxes, jars and bottles and other containers that can be reused when occasion calls for. Call us pack rat but we seldom throw away usable things.

10. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I've never reused cans. Other then using them for planters I find they are very hard to reuse. I always reuse glass bottles and jars though. These are great for traveling or just using to put sauce or pesto in.