Reusing old socks

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Athenagdlyt • Apr 28, 2014.

1. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Old and worn-out socks may be among the items that use up a lot of space in our wardrobe cabinets and drawers. One way to extend its use is to turn socks into cleaning cloths. In its whole form, I found it very useful as a cleaning glove particularly for piano keys and furniture. I simply slip on the old sock on my hand and it becomes a very Handy cleaning tool. When one part is too soiled, just turn the sock and you got a clean, fresh area.

Do you have other suggestions on recycling and reusing old socks?

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    My mum does this! She owuld also make us use old socks as gloves when he had snowball fights and built snowmen as children. :)

I don't have socks long enough to have other uses for them, I'm always losing them while getting changed at football.

3. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Eh, I don't really reuse old socks. I just throw them out. I don't spend enough money on socks to really warrant trying to get more use out of them. If I did keep them to try to use them, I know they'd probably just sit around collecting dust and taking up space.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I used to do this. I would actually cut them open to use them as clothes. I like the ones where the inside tends to be fluffier, which is nice for dusting because it holds onto the dust more.

At this point, I usually wear my socks completely out before they get taken out of circulation so by then, they're not really useful for much else still.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    It's great to see that we're not the only ones using old socks as a cheap dusting tool :eek: Another thing that my parents did with old socks was to cut them in stripes with the purpose of tying the plants. Take tomatoes for examples. They grow quite tall and since they're gonna be heavy with fruit they need to be tied to a wooden pole in order to stay standing. The thing they tied them with was the old sock cloth stripes.

6. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I can't say that I've ever done this! I have turned old wash clothes (for personal use) into cleaning rags. I think I usually buy all my socks in a big pack (TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Target...) so I feel they are very affordable to begin with. If they get worn out, I just eventually replace them.

7. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard of cutting up old clothes for rags before, but I've never heard of reusing old socks before. Well no I've heard of using old tube socks as plastic bag holders before... I usually wear my socks down to nothing, but I'll have to see about using them as dust rags! :)

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use old socks for anything because the fabrics are even good for cleaning. Possibly if I had other skills I could make something out of them, but that's not the case. Usually when they have holes I just throw them away.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    it is such a great idea to use socks as a cleaning tool. I never thought about it but it actually probably works pretty well. I'm not very creative, so I really only use old socks to sleep! Specially the really fuzzy ones, even if they have holes on them I'm okay with having them to sleep.

10. Adrean J

Adrean JNew Member

Threads:
    My socks are usually torn and tattered before I feel they are unusable, but I have known people to use them as dusting cloths and even dish cloths. Psychologically, I can't use a sock for a dish cloth, because it my mind I'm just wiping my toes all over my dishes, but to each their own. I have also seen people use socks as fillers (under an uneven table or couch) and as bathroom cleaners. I could see myself using an old sock to clean the tub, sink or toilet.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just use mine to keep all my new socks in one place. I do this by stuffing my new socks into an old one so I'd never lose them and always know where to find them. I don't make a conscious effort to save old socks just so I could do this, though, as like caseyfacey has mentioned, it's not like I paid a lot for them anyway. I just do it whenever I find old socks lying around and I do this mostly so I don't use the old ones anymore since they are being used as a container.

12. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I gather all the used socks and make a pillow out of them. I make a simple pouch and then put as much socks as I can. The more you put and the more bulging the pillow is, the better, because the pillow will not be limp. I would usually just collect used socks in a hamper over a period of time and then once there is enough, that's when I will make the pouch.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My socks get really worn out before I stop using them, so it has never occured to me to re-use any of my old socks. I do re-use my old and worn out shirts and I turn them into cleaning cloths. I remember my gay friend used a sock to muffle his "sounds" while being intimate with his bf, so that can be another use for worn out socks, lol.