Reward credit cards you recommend?

Discussion in Credit Cards started by meieden • Jun 3, 2012.

1. meieden

meiedenNew Member

Threads:
    If I'm going to spending money, I may as well be making a little bit back in rewards points. What are some of your favorite rewards credit cards?
    Mine include:
    • Amazon Rewards Card - 3 points for Amazon purchases (I buy everything on Amazon), 2 points for major categories like gas, drugstores, restaurants, etc., and 1 point for everything else.
    • Chase Freedom Card - 5% cashback in revolving categories every 3 months.
    • Continental Rewards Card - 25,000 - 50,000 miles are awarded just to sign up. That in itself makes this card worth it. Not to mention you can have 1 free checked back for up to 9 passengers booked using the credit card. Unforunately, there is an annual fee, but it can be worth it. If not, pay 1 year's worth just for the initial miles to book yourself a trip and then cancel (If you don't mind the slight credit hit).

I'll generally use my Amazon Rewards credit card for most purchases and then switch to Chase Freedom for categories receiving 5% cash back. I use Continental for any travel expenses.

2. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I did not even know Amazon offered a rewards card! I will have to look at that one because I hate the one I am in now because it has an annual fee which is killing me!

3. Dr23

Dr23Member

Threads:
    I use a combination of the Discover More card and the Chase Freedom card. Both cards offer rotating 5% categories that typically don't overlap too much. This means I am usually getting 5% on groceries on one card and 5% on dining on the other. Both offer 5% on gas at different times of the year.

The Freedom card is my first option as it offers 1% on all purchases not in the 5% categories while Discover has that silly 0.25% for the first 3,000 spent for purchases not in the 5% category.

Long story short, if you use both you can optimize your rewards pretty well. All you need to do is make sure you are signed up for each quarter's category and remember which card covers which category at any given time.