Rice Bran Oil Anyone?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ohiotom76 • Apr 20, 2015.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I had never heard of this before until just recently, but apparently there is some buzz around it as being one of the better oils to cook with, as well as having many health benefits.

Of course I am cautious as usual that this isn't just some "it" product that is getting all hyped up over nothing. But from what I've read about it, it does seem to have a few appealing characteristics.

Namely, one of the things I particularly dislike about Olive oil is how thick and viscous it is - especially the Extra Virgin variety. As much as I like the flavor of it, and appreciate it for it's health benefits, I cannot stand the mouth feel of it on stuff like potato salads or pasta salads which have been chilled because it thickens up too much and feels like motor oil in my mouth.

Supposedly the Rice Bran oil is much thinner in viscosity, and purportedly doesn't stick to and get absorbed into foods as much when they are friend in it.

Also it's supposedly high in vitamin E, and is relatively close to the "ideal" balance of good fats.

Do any of you cook with it? What are your thoughts? Does it have a strong flavor/smell?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of this rice bran oil. I personally really like olive oil and have never had any problem with it at all. There's always going to be something new, something "better". If rice bran oil works for you, why not. I must say in as much as I've not tasted or noticed the thick, horrible texture of olive oil that you mention, I know of some thinner oils that I like, like flaxseed, grapeseed and sesame oil, so I'd be very interested in trying rice bran oil too.