Rice or Pasta?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by sarz • Apr 3, 2014.

1. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I ask because I absolutely detest rice and any variation of it such as couscous and I know a lot of people find that strange as most people do eat rice regularly as part of their main meal.

I don't like the texture of rice at all or the taste be it brown, white or savoury. Instead I eat pasta or potato as an alternative.

What is your preference?

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer pasta a little more because I have rice all the time, although I can eat rice with more types of food. It's hard to describe the taste because it's usually mixed with other things. If I have pasta I usually don't eat it with other food besides bread sticks or chicken.

3. Scottie

ScottieMember

Threads:
    Rice!

Not that I don't like pasta, but I much prefer rice. It goes with a great many different cuisines and can be just as versatile as pasta. It's easy to cook. Plain with butter, stir fry, casseroles, cooked into dishes, a dish served on a bed of rice...oh, so many ways to enjoy it. The less processed you can get your rice, the healthier it is. I tend to eat mostly basmati rice, although I sometimes eat jasmine, white, brown, or wild rice

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Between the two, I prefer pasta - there is more variety in shapes and sizes, and I find pasta to be more filling and substantial overall. In soups especially, I prefer pasta over rice.

That said, I do enjoy various types of fried rice and often order it and/or make it myself.

Have any of you tried any of the newer rice pastas? I've been meaning to try them, to see what they taste like.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Both of them! I used to eat pasta a lot since it's inexpensive and easy to cook but I just recently discovered soy sauce so now I'm a rice fiend. How could I ignore soy sauce up until now, I'll never now. But since I found about it I tested all the brands I could get my hands on and I'm still not satisfied :eek:

But if you're on a budget and want to eat cheap, both pasta and rice are great options. Both can be prepared in a variety of ways with different condiments so you'll end up with some diversity.

6. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly. I do not think you can compare the two.

They are used in totally different food, in totally different ways. If you are asking which i prefer to eat. I would have to say Rice because i eat a lot of chicken, and what good is Chicken if you do not pair it with rice? I also like rice because it goes with everything, and it is so easy to make.

BBQ some chicken, boil some rice, and you have a full course meal.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love both rice and pasta, but if I had to pick one I think I'd go for pasta, especially if tomato sauce is involved, I think tomato sauce is my favorite thing to eat in the world! :D But some things don't work with pasta, like fried fish for example.

8. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    I really like both rice and pasta, or any kind of grain for that matter. I think rice and couscous make really nice bases for a wide variety of dishes. Spicy baked feta cheese over couscous? Yes please. I don't have an enormous preference between the two, as they are both extremely versatile. I will say pasta is perhaps a tad easier to cook.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I eat both of them, too, and I know that neither are that great for me.

I see rice and couscous as totally different foods, though. I don't like couscous and the texture is definitely very different. Even white rice versus brown rice versus basmati/jasmine rice, etc are very different textures. And the texture varies some based on what is put on/in the rice, too, so I don't fairly compare any of those.

10. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I love rice. I can eat rice everyday. I can eat rice for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I think rice makes a great side dish. I also enjoy rice as my main meal. Sometimes I will make my own variation of fried rice for dinner. As much as I love rice, the one rice dish I do not like is rice pudding.

11. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    Oh my, I love them both so much! As a child I loved pasta and still do. I even use to like eating it on its own! :p I just think it's delicious. But I also loved fried rice now too. I think that is just as delicious. I loved it mixed with chicken and prawns, yummy

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a hard one, because I really love both!! (oh those evil carbs!). For me I think it's a matter of what I feel like eating at the moment and what I'm eating it with. For example if I have a souffle, a casserole, something with a sauce on it - I prefer eating with rice. But pasta you can eat just by itself or with a simple grilled chicken, meat or fish on the side. Both are really yummy and I love them!

13. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:

I Wasn't comparing them. But I would have to disagree that they are used in totally different foods in totally different ways. Take macaroni cheese for instance accompanied with rice and chicken I just wouldn't have the rice.

Chicken unpaired with rice for me is edible as opposed to with it. There are so many other things that chicken goes with roti, fried dumplings, veg, macaroni cheese, roast potatoes etc. Chicken can be great with or without rice.

Each to their own I guess.

14. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I pretty much live off of rice.

You can do so much with it and basically use it as a side with just about any dish. One of my staple meals is chicken stir fry over veggies. Absolutely delicious. Also, what I like about it is it's extremely convenient and requires no hassle to make. Just throw it in the rice cooker and walk away!