Ridesharing

Discussion in Travel started by Sunflogun • Oct 22, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    We have quite a few companies for ridesharing (Uber, Lyft and so on) and also other programs in which people effectively do rideshare. Are you a user or a driver for any of these programs/companies? What's your opinion on how much we save with them?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sadly, we don't have any of those in Botswana. But I've heard that there are Uber drivers in South Africa, over the border. Those who have used them seem rather pleased with the service, but because I've yet to use them, I don't have any idea if people find them cost effective and/or save money on them, and if so how much. I hope some members will come along and address your question.

3. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a driver, but Uber is huge in my city. Huge enough that normal taxi drivers more or less forced the city into regulating Uber. I can understand why, too - as unsafe as taxi drivers sometimes are, at least they're properly trained and insured. You don't always get the same guarantee with a ridesharing company.

4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard the same situation. Cab drivers wanting Uber to be regulated. The competition must be tough these days for cab drivers. I know one of my neighbors participates in one of the ride sharing services because the sticker is on the windshield. I wouldn't want some stranger wasting coffee in my car. Well first I have to get a car,lol.

5. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    The issue is that cab drivers want Uber to be regulated, but Uber is not violating any law, it's a business that was created out of creativity. Sure, it has to be regulated, but what's there to regulate due to it's format?

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Uber is in my area and I think the Uber ride is a little less expensive than a cab. In my area there is no public transit on the weekends or after 8pm which means you have to take a cab. The cabs charges more after dark which is crazy a 5 mile rides can cost up to $20 which is also crazy. Uber is about $12 for the same 5 miles.

7. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, so that's how Uber keeps growing, they charge less, the app is totally convenient, so unless we catch an idiot driver (what is unlikely) taxi drivers really need to rethink their professional activity.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are tour agencies here for domestic travel. Their scheme is to get at least 8 tourists for a trip because they had to rent a van for that purpose. When we availed of that service in going to Ilocos, that's 12 hours of land travel, there were only 7 of us. It's a good thing the tour agency relented to our request to have the van for ourselves because it's not comfortable to have strangers riding with us in that long trip.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Uber is still going strong in my area. I would not mind picking up a few dollars a week in my area. I would not want to drive someone to the airport or downtown, just very locally.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, @Pat@Pat....Uber is a very good idea, but as a woman, I'd be very wary of who I picked up and where. I personally wouldn't feel safe working after dark either. I've heard horror stories from my local male taxi drivers, and would be nervous about going through the same!

11. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Such an idea might be a good idea in a big city like New York City. Some people might get tired of riding the subway or a bus but are reluctant to ride a taxi daily due to the cost. On top of that, a car would be a bad idea due to the high cost of parking. Nonetheless, I think subways, but not buses, tend to be on-time unless of course there was some local emergency which is rare. On the other hand, other types of transportation are dependent on traffic patterns. Things like accidents can cause major problems.

Anyhow, note as far as cost is concerned. It depends on what you want. Obviously, a subway might be just as cheap, so you'd have to weigh in on what you really want. Does anyone have any links comparing the prices of different forms of transport?

12. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For the daily travel from home to work, there was a time when car pool was popular here. Instead of paying the full amount in a taxicab, the carpool costs just a fraction. The bus is not an option because of the inconvenience. However, the carpool has also its share of inconvenience, i.e. in waiting for the other passengers. Sometimes it takes more than 30 minutes so the car pool lost its popularity. But if that would be revived, I think it can help solve the heavy traffic in Metro Manila.

13. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have used ridesharing and the experience has not been bad to be honest. Since the whole aim is to get to the destination in a matter of minutes with minimum cost, I wouldn't mind ridesharing at all.

14. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    I always use ride sharing when going to work. It's a very useful option and it also contributes to solving the traffic problem. Imagine yourself going alone in the cab and there are tons of people who would be doing the same. Instead, if you opt for a ride share, you will be accompanied by others thereby eliminating the need of using multiple cabs for individuals. I agree that it takes a little longer to reach the destination but it is way cheaper.

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This is one where I would say that you have to be a little bit lucky, but when you think about it you can really cut down on gas costs and maybe even avoid those pesky things that always seem to go wrong with cars.

16. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Ridesharing is fare saving for the passengers have to share with the intended fare for the taxi. It is economical but in my case I find it unethical to ride with others who you don't know and you have just met them for the first time. Along with my friends, business associates, I would prefer to join ride with them. And besides there is no taxi company in our place. We are always riding on a public bus when we go to the nearby towns, cities and even to the capital city for business and shopping spree.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The trend is picking up in our areas. People have started sharing their cars for sending and bringing back their children to and fro schools. People have also started sharing cars for going to their office or at least up to a common destination. In fact it is being done in order to reduce pollution and number of vehicles on the roads. The money saved in the process is additional benefit. Companies are also encouraging shared rides to chip in the process.

18. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I use ride sharing on Uber/Ola everyday. There are times when I do face difficulties, because of the route taken and sometimes the drivers are so obstinate to take the route given by their GPS. Even if what we suggest is the shorter and the traffic free route, then insist to take the GPS route. That is very frustrating. Otherwise, I find ride sharing quite cheap and good.

19. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I live outside a college town but the town has a good size college and the younger folk mostly use this service to get home from the bars and such at night. I have a brother that drives for Uber and he does tell me some interesting stories about the riders that he picks up,mostly down near the college at night. The other day he told me about somebody that threw up in his car(he has a new car)and sometimes they leave their wallets or other things behind though.