Rising Cost, Falling Value!

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by mythman • Aug 3, 2016.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    At Oklahoma City's

is

---Tuesday-tickets were once (recently) 96-cents, now they're something like $1.50 ...

Still inexpensive, sure; but you'd expect an improvement ... Maybe that comes later, but that time (AFTER paying over-%150 normal price), I had to brush garbage from the row I was sitting-in, dry my hand off after putting it on the arm-rest; and the movie from the room next-door BLARED over quiet moments in the movie I was watching!

2. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I think that you can look at a lot pf products and services these days and say the same thing. We all know that inflation is real, and the real problems occur when the other things do not catch up. Wages staying the same is certainly part of that, but we also need the products to improve or keep their standard of production, which often times does not happen. I hope that we see a turn around here in the near future, but I am not really confident that it will happen. Thanks for sharing.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well rising prices are one certainty that is gonna happen as time goes by, since all goods in general seem to raise their prices and money seems to depreciate in value. I remember that my parents say that in the 70's you can buy a lot in the market in just a few cents, but now it's a lot more expensive to get a whole week of groceries.

4. ziska

ziskaMember

Threads:
    I have noticed also that product containers are shrinking as the price goes up. It also seems that you have to pay extra for a product that DOESN'T contain something! It will say "no added sugar" and be a smaller box and cost more. (as if the sugar took up so much space the box had to be smaller, and it was so much work to make it without the sugar they have to charge more)...lol really?

5. annacath

annacathNew Member

Threads:
    Hmm, this is a sale strategy.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, it seems we're getting less for our money these days, and that money is scarce, since the price of just about everything has increased. I know many who are struggling, and I've been around long enough to know that times have gotten tougher. Wages definitely haven't kept up with the cost of living, and it seems employers expect way too much for what they are paying.

A lot of the products available these days are designed to be discarded after so many uses. Everything seems to have a short lifespan, versus items manufactured (or handmade) just a few decades ago. I was just posting about preferring to buy some types of items second hand, because they're of better quality, and will last longer, rather than new items that are made from low quality fabric and where the seams unravel quickly.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, that is dirty cheap! Where I live, a ticket goes anywhere from 10 bucks to 30 or even 40 if it’s a special VIP, 4D room or something like that…

But I get your point. If something has an increased price, but you get more for what you’re paying, no issues there. But I get really upset when something increases prices and the quality is even lower than before. When this happens, I will usually make a very effective choice – I just don’t use or go there anymore.

8. whysewserious

whysewseriousMember

Threads:
    I experience similar issues at theaters where I pay full price for tickets, so it is not surprising to hear about that a cheaper theater.

Perhaps the rise in pricing will go towards hiring people to actually clean, but I digress.

I stopped buying snacks that come in bags (such as chips) because they tout a bigger bag size and I feel like I am paying for a bag of air. This seems to be a common thing across many markets and while consumers are more savvy to this type of thing, what can we actually do to stop it?

9. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I do understand what you mean. Not with the movie tickets specifically though, they are usually $12-$30 here. However, I have noticed it with other things. Food products contain FAR less than they did even 10 years ago, and are more than double the price! Its insane.

10. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    That's the issue after rising demand over a product. The ticket value increased but the quality doesn't because people were buying far more tickets than expected, thus the increase of value.

11. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Part of the problem is corporate and individual greed and cutthroat competition with everyone trying to cut corners. Though inflation and depreciation of currency is a mitigating factor, it doesn't tell the full story. Cartels are also another cog wheel of conspiracy.

12. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    I noticed that a couple years ago. I used to get generic moose tracks and it would be two quarts but then it lost half a quart and was a dollar more. I guess gas is expensive but you would think that there is a way of them to minimize the cost. But if you can sell less for more money, most companies will do that. I think chips are the worst, like I get that the air is supposed to cushion the chips but they don't even reach half up the bag anymore. I kind of get that the gluten free and sugar free recipes are more expensive for less because it's hard to get the same texture or taste, plus you're kind of paying for convince since some of those foods are a pain to make from scratch. But I'm no sure why it's almost five or more dollars more for the organic, no sugar, no gluten, or whatever is. At that point wouldn't be easier not to eat it.

13. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Everything costs a lot higher now. The bad thing is, wages stay the same. If ever they add some extra dollars on wages, it still won't catch up with the prices. In our country where rice is a staple food. I remember buying a kilo of high quality rice for just 50 cents. Now it costs more than a dollar for a kilo of medium quality rice. In the 90's, a big fast food chain here sells 2 pieces of chicken for around $2.5 dollars. They were enormous. now they still cost a bit higher but I hate to call them chickens anymore. They are way too small than what they were serving way back then.