Risk Your Health To Save A Little Money?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Jun 10, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On a number of sites I've seen people try to convince their readers to do things which though they would save them money might involve risking their health. For example if you consistently buy cheaper, less healthy food in the end you'll have to pay the price and the money you'll spend getting treatment will be a lot more than what you saved.

Whilst saving money never risk your health by being too miserly.

2. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    I will have to agree with the post above. I don't think that it is wise in any way to risk life in the name of saving money. At the end of the day, when the health fails, one still has or may need to spend more money in order to restore it, so nothing was gained, only stress and more stress which also has a negative impact on health.

3. lisasian86

lisasian86Member

Threads:
    Or you could just buy cheaper, healthy food like fruit and veg. Then you are saving money and becoming healthier at the same time.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, eating healthy food actually saves you money. So the biggest money saver would actually be educating themselves on proper nutrition. Healthy food doesn't say it's healthy in an ad or on packaging.. it just is. When people compare junk food to "healthy food" and say junk is cheaper, I'd bet on both foods being unhealthy or the healthier option being premade. My favourite is the pictures going around comparing McDonalds to a premade salad.. it's a premade salad, of course it's expensive lol, make it yourself! And with the ingredients you bought, you could have more than one meal, oOOOooOoh, aaAAAaaAAh ;) There are plenty of cheaper, healthier more filling options than all the junk food out there. So again, education is key, it will save your wallet and health.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Vegetables are cheap and healthy, so I would have to agree that simply switching to them would be healthier and would save you more money. I think that simply cutting down on sweets, sodas and oily foods are a much better alternative when it comes to saving money.

6. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    Never.

I focus on food as my priority, nothing is as important as what you're putting in your body and where you're putting your body. that's life. The better you do by yourself, the better you can do for yourself. I cheap up sometimes, but that's when I have to. I always prefer value over saving money...I'd rather be broke and have to fight my way out of it then operate at 50%

7. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I find that a regime of the real healthy food practice is a bit more expensive than the usual way of eating.However, it's wiser to absorb the extra costs now and maintain the healthy lifestyle because in the long run it will most likely turn out less expensive. Consider that they healthy practice could prevent many costly that could arise afflictions later-on.

8. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    You mean like buying a cheap meal in fast food chains like Mcdonalds everyday in order to save money?. That's doesn't sound like a smart way to save money, but some people do.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Let me just share an experience of a family friend who was diagnosed to have hypertension. He was prescribed maintenance medication to control his high blood pressure. Although he is not well off in life since he is into merchandise sellling, he is so business minded that he doesn't take his daily medication when he is feeling good. When he was hit by a stroke, the doctor blamed that skipping medication for the body has been used to the medication already so it should not be stopped. And the only reason for skipping the pill is.... to save money.

10. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Saving money but disregarding your health kind of defeats the purpose of your agenda. Because then if you get sick, then you'll most likely spend your savings for your medication. You can buy fruits and vegetables, cheap and healthy means more for your savings.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think it's that smart considering you'll probably just end up paying more on hospital bills later on by doing this. You may save yourself a few dollars now but by doing so you risk having to pay lots more than you originally would have in the future and the few dollars you saved now will seem a lot less significant at that point since medical bills are rarely cheap. Additionally, the amount of compromise you'd have to deal with is also not that appealing so it's best to just try and prevent it now rather than trying to cure something later on. Although I guess some people are lucky enough that they are able to get away with it somehow, but it's best not to gamble just in case you are not one of those lucky few.

12. Sydney M.

Sydney M.Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't go as far as to say I risk my health to save myself a couple dollars, but I am definitely not one to spend all my money for organic produce and the highest quality meat. Being young and having a tight budget, I'm not really able to spend large sums of cash for all those high quality products, but it's not like I'll go buying my steak at the Dollar Store (which is actually a thing, check it out!). I simply buy what I can afford for dinner that week, and the places I save money are by buying things I can use to make healthy meals (rather than unnecessary snacks), not wasting food, always using what I already have in the fridge, not ordering out, etc. There are many ways to save money while on a budget and still maintain a healthy lifestyle.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    True, that. I've seen people skip meals just to hit their target savings for the day or week. It's obviously unhealthy and even if there seems to be no harm at the moment, if such a habit carries on, they'd soon realize they did something wrong after spending more for hospital or medical fees.

14. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I think the risk of bad food is exaggerated. There are other factors at play. For instance, people might be smokers or inactive. In fact, in the US, more than half the people don't get enough exercise. In that case, why should people feel bad if they want to have fun and indulge in junk food?

15. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    The way I understand this discussion is compromising your health by buying affordable foods which have nothing to improve your health. The big question is: why settle for less when you healthy lifestyle is at stake? I would rather spend much money for nutritious foods to insure my healthy condition of myself. Health is wealth is to speak. It is out of context by compromising your health and then you will suffer the consequence of being too frugal by endangering your health.

16. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I do not think it's worth to do so, as eventually we might end up paying more for the medical fee. Moreover, I believe simple and natural food is healthy and they might not be costly too. I think there are still ways for us to look for less expensive and healthy life style.

17. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is not a good idea to scrimp on the quality of food. I remember my grandmother buying overripe bananas. My father would tell her that she should buy quality bananas but my grandma would retort that those blackening bananas are so cheap. It was good that we did not get sick from eating those overripe bananas. That was a lesson I always remember when it comes to food – never risk your health just to save money.

18. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Risking our health is not an option to save up money, like you said at the end we would end up paying a higher price anyway and worst we would be miserable. There are so many healthy choices that are actually pretty cheap. There are fruits and vegetables that we can buy to make salads. With the vegetables one can make vegetable soup which is quite cheap and easy to make. One doesn't have to be buying junk all the time to save.

19. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Exchanging good health just being able to save money seems to be a very high value exchange. I certainly would never do such a thing. In the end, what was meant to be cheap can get very expensive.

So, it's not for me. ;)

20. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to health I would never compromise my health with buying cheap and low-quality foods and save money and having regretting later. I don't think that is a good thing to do and also it is not smart for us to do that.