Road Rage

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Jennifer • Jun 13, 2012.

1. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I have never personally experienced road rage but I have seen it happen in my town. Fortunately it didn't get physical and I'm not sure what prompted this person to act in such a manner. I can only think it was a bit of bad driving on the victim's part as he was an elderly gentleman. No physical harm was done as he wisely kept his window closed and door locked. It was really upsetting to see someone, who clearly had no control over his emotions, resort to such actions as to want to attack someone who could have been his father's age. Road rage seems to be on the increase as people find themselves more and more under pressure to cope with the stresses of life.

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this and what would you do if you were on the receiving end of road rage?

2. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    No, I have never experienced road rage...nor been on the receiving end of it, I am far too zen for that. I rarely drive lately so I am pretty protected from the craziness on the road. I do, however, remember a few years ago I had a friend who was very prone to getting fits of road rage...and one day got badly beaten up with a cricket bat because of it. Landed up in hospital, in a bad way. True story, unfortunately. I was really shocked by it as I could not comprehend it. But yes, this happens.

3. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I am sorry to hear about your friend. Something similar happened in my part of the world, also involving a cricket bat. Unfortunately the person did not survive the assault. I am generalizing now, but I think that men are more prone to road rage than women. Women tend to be more forgiving when another road user makes a mistake on the road, whereas some men are prone to drive more aggressively. I suppose the best thing to do under the circumstances is not to antagonize a person that displays symptoms of road rage and never ever pull over to the side of the road if he gestures you to do so.

4. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a guy and I have bouts of road rage. I think it comes from having a short temper, and that comes out in my driving. I can let some things go, but after a while I become a boiling pot. I wish I could keep it under control, but it always seem to get the best of me. I haven't physically hit anyone, but if I keep driving I'm scared I will lose control.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I used to loose my temper when driving and felt like it was getting worse. I started listening to mellow music while driving which really does help. Now, whenever someone does something stupid, I just try to blow it off. It is just not worth getting into a road rage fight over it. Someone told me once to think of the other driver as someones grandparent, parent or sibling. That really helped curb my getting angry at other drivers, too.

6. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    This has happened more times than I can count. It is really easy to be guilty of it too. In this area is Rochester, NY. There is a highway area locally called the Can of Worms, where a number of highways come together. The driving there is totally lawless, with cars weaving in and out, tailgating and speeding. A few times I have seen drivers exceeding 100 miles per hour. I know this because I was going 55 and I would see a car coming at me at highway speed (differential speed) in the rear view mirror. When they are that irrational, the only thing that you can do is change lanes and get out of their way.

7. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    Road rage is something I've seen in my family often, especially my mother. It's something that I don't personally see myself experiencing, mostly because I'm a lot more patient, and able to tolerate other people around me on the road. However, I do have my limits, if someone was to cut me off very closely, I can end up losing my temper a little, or when someone doesn't see me when they're going onto my lane.

8. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    People are so dangerous now a day until it is sickening. You know it's no need for such a thing. If everyone just take their time they will get there sooner or later. This is a way for you to kill yourself or someone else. Listen people, we all have more time than money, so why rush your time? It could be your last day on earth so why not enjoy those last minutes here. We all need to calm down and take a breath, we are all human and we all make mistakes. I have never been a victim of road rage and I don't want to be. If I see someone that just has to be wherever and don't know if they are going to make it to wherever he/she is headed, I slow down and let them go on about there business, because I know in my heart I have more time than money and I am not here to rush my time away.

9. Jacek

JacekNew Member

Threads:
    I have seen road rage in many forms and they are all a little scary. I was driving home with my son who had just had surgery. I noticed this truck behind me catching up to me at a fast pace. When he was close enough to pass legally I immediately pulled over so he could go by. I watched him tailgate behind another person who didn't pull over fast enough for him; he would charge the vehicle, pull out beside him, get back behind him again then do it all over again. I was thinking this guy is crazy and was glad that I pulled over. He continued this for a few more minutes until he forced the other driver off the road. When I was approaching them he had jumped out of his truck with an axe and went to the other driver’s window. I was horrified. I then quickly called the police to report the incident. I didn't stop to help the other driver as I was very afraid for my life and my son's life if I would have stopped. That road rage incident was the most violent one I had witnessed; all the others have been shouting matches or just aggressive driving.

10. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I hate that kind of thing. I was on my way to the store tonight and this car just tailgated me until I got off the freeway. So I changed lanes, thinking it was some of those young kids driving stuip and I found out it was an older lady driving stuip. I said I know she is not in that big of a hurry. She almost hit me from behind, she had to pull to the side of me to keep from hitting my rear. And she seems to have been talking to herself, or on the phone with someone. Now as old as she was she should know better. I said my God where is she going in such a hurry, to have a reck I suppose. Road rage is very stuip and you will get there if you only take your time.

#10Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  11. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Do people know that we have more time than money? If you just take your time we can all get to where we are going alive and well. But if you want to rush your time away, this is a good way to do it, just don't take anyone with you out of your foolishness.

12. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I have just a bit and I try to ignore it and keep on more than anything. What good does it do engage someone in it and just make the whole situation worse?

13. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never had a road rage encounter either, it's not something that happens very often. People usually just toot their horn or yell something out of the window. I know I would defend myself if I was a victim of road rage.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm guilty of road raging from time to time. There was one left turning lane I would need to take every day to come home from work, and for some reason people would wait till the last moment to pull over into it and cut me off every day. A few times I laid on the horn and rode people's bumpers for doing that.

The worst one was when I plowed into a funeral procession. I was at a light and the oncoming left turn lane kept going through the light after I had a green light. I started laying on the horn until one of them finally stopped and let me in. That was when I finally noticed the funeral flags on their car. Talk about awkward. I pulled over into the first parking lot as soon as I realized what I did.

15. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    So now, do you feel good about yourself? I feel you have to drive for yourself and everyone else in order to be safe. I always try to figure out what the next car is going to do before I make a move. I will let them go about there business if they are in such a hurry. In a hurry to go nowhere I suppose. I like to be safe rather than sorry later.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's ridiculous.. I can understand impatience, but outright rage is something entirely different. These are people that definitely need to reevaluate some things lol. I come from a smaller city where it takes maybe 7 minutes to get everywhere if it's not rush hour. And still, people get so angry at each other. 7 minutes is too long to wait?? Drives me nuts how people can't appreciate their lives a little more than that. If you're that stressed or under pressure, rethink your life.

17. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Well said JosieP, if you are in such a hurry, why don't you get out and take a walk and walk your stress off before you get back into your car and kill someone that doesn't think like you. By the time you take your walk maybe you will see how stuip it is to rush, and why rush, I love to enjoy the moment and listen to some music on my way to wherever it maybe that I am going. Folk take your time, you will get to hell in time.

18. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    This happens a LOT in my city. Most people are terrible drivers anyway. They skip red lights and don't even mind stop signs. If you go downtown, be ir rush hour or not, you'll definitely spot a few cases of road rage. There are people who just roll their windows down and yell like crazy, but there are others who step out of their cars looking to get into a fight. It's just stupid.

Luckily, I've never been there, but I try to drive as calmly as I can.

19. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I have personally never been like this or I have never been a part of it either.
    I did however witness several people just getting out of control for no apparent reason just because they can't control themselves in my opinion. I feel that most of the time people are just having a bad day and they decide its okay if they just take it out on someone innocent.

20. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I now live in a large city and I can understand some of it. I wouldn't ever condone road rage, but the more people there are, the scarier things get. I can't even count how many people I see in a day, looking down at their phones and swerving all over the road. A lot of the anger I see now, is from people worried about their safety instead of impatience. Nobody should resort to rage or violence, but there are so many careless drivers out there and the bigger the city, the more severe the consequences, so I can see where some people are coming from.. in my hometown, you would survive any accident unless you were a pedestrian getting hit or something which probably happened twice in my entire life.. but where I am now, there's almost always a casualty because people are driving highway speeds. It definitely puts people on edge when the risk rises.