Roku Hdmi Stick

Discussion in Product Reviews started by LokiLoki • Jun 23, 2015.

1. LokiLoki

LokiLokiNew Member

Threads:
    The Roku HDMI Streaming Dongle (stick) is a Neat little gadget that lets you use your TV to stream content online like Netflix, YouTube and hundreds of other channels. I actually don’t have cable and watch all of my shows online. It’s a great idea, innovative and convenient and at $50 pretty inexpensive. I bought one in March 2015 to check it out. My dad has the Roku 2 and loves it so I figured it was worth a shot.

Since I moved in May it has been having connectivity issues. At first it would just be spotty, then a few weeks later it would say it was connected but it wouldn’t work, then it wouldn’t connect but would recognize that there were wireless networks available and now finally it won’t even recognize the wireless networks.

I’m sure by now this sounds like tech Hell, and believe me it was extremely frustrating, but something I can completely rave about is the customer service. Roku has several options for support (e-mail, phone and my personal favourite: live chat). I love live chat because it is super convenient and it’s easier to follow along with troubleshooting when it’s typed up. The representatives were all very courteous and helpful and guided me through troubleshooting the Roku until it was determined that the problem was hardware. First they sent me an HDMI extender and when that didn’t work they actually offered to send me a brand new replacement Roku. I am waiting for it to arrive in the mail presently.

I will keep you updated if I experience any more problems, but I am hoping that it is smooth sailing from here out.

Has anyone else had experience with the Roku or interest in it?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no experience with the Roku, but I am interested in getting one eventually, when I'm ready to cut the cord and cancel my cable TV. I'll probably get a Roku 3, but I'm also probably going to want a dongle, as well, since I'll have a TV without another means of accessing programming. I'll probably use it for HuluPlus and Netflix. I'm glad to hear that their customer service is so good, because after some of the dealings I've had with cable companies, that's always a consideration.

3. lookatalthea

lookataltheaMember

Threads:
    I have been looking into a Roku, and I think I actually just keep forgetting to buy it. My husband and I do not have cable TV because it's so expensive and there's never anything worth watching! We don't like reality TV or anything like that. We use Netflix and Amazon Prime. If we can't find anything to watch on those, then we buy an instant-download movie or series. In the end we save so much money that way. We don't get the news, or live shows like VMA's or Emmy's or the presidential debates, but everything can be streamed online these days.
    I want the Roku because right now we stream through our Xbox, but it's getting old. My husband doesn't play video games anymore, so we have very little use for a new Xbox. A Roku sounds perfect. @LokiLoki@LokiLoki good luck with your new Roku! Let us know if it ends up being worthwhile. I hope it's not too good to be true. =)

4. Diane Lane

Threads:
    There's a new Roku 4 version coming out, but I don't see any features that would entice me to pay $30 more for them. I don't have a new curved or 4k televison, so why pay extra? It seems to support a lot more programming, but not the sort I watch/listen to, so if/when I buy one, it will probably be the stick or Roku 2 or Roku 3. The stick is nice because it can just be unplugged and carried from room to room. The danger in that is that I tend to set things down, then lose them. I can stream downstairs on the blu-ray player, but up here, I move between the bedroom and office, so it might be worth it for me to buy the stick. It looks as if there are some sales right now. Everyone is trying to beat the other (stores) to Black Friday sales, so some are having pre-Black Friday sales, which is nice for consumers. It's hard to predict whether prices will keep declining before the holidays, so it might be better to snap items up now, rather than waiting, and having a shortage, especially if the items are in high demand.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really wish I could get Roku as it would be something really helpful to me I think. The only problem is since, I don't have unlimited internet, those devices that require streaming is not really useful to me. I really wish I had unlimited internet, as there are so many great values available with internet streaming. It would really save money!

6. Diane Lane

Threads:
    You could see if there's some sort of mobile broadband that would work. I cut the cable for a while several years back and tried out a mobile broadband device, but it barely worked here in the boondocks where I live. They may have improved since then, and I've also heard that the local industry is somehow blocking signals here, which is why everyone here has to get cell phone extenders. When I had Comcast, I couldn't even stream from upstairs to my device downstairs, so I definitely understand limitations. Is there no affordable unlimited internet option nearby? I know it can get expensive, but hopefully you can find some way to make it workable for you. I'm going to be calling my provider next week, since my 'deals' are about to expire and my bill will be going up. If they don't give me a deal, I'll be cutting the cable television off. I prefer to hold off on doing that until after Christmas, but I'll do it if I have to, and will get a Roku and probably Hulu and Netflix.