Roku Streaming Player?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by pafjlh • Jun 14, 2013.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I wanted to know if anyone here has one of these. In case your wondering what it is, its a streaming player that give your HD quality channels. Some of these channels require a monthly subscription such a Netfix and HBO. But there are some free channels as well that are acquired with the Roku player, such as Crackle. So, I was wondering if any of you have this player, and what your opinion are of it. I know there are different versions, and some are more expensive then others. I have been looking at these because I would like to one day be able to subscribe to Netflix, but I was wanting to know if the Roku Player lives up to its claims.

2. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    I have a Roku player with Netflix and am glad I got it. I haven't really checked out the free channels much, but I didn't see much there to interest me. Perhaps you might find out what titles are available on the free channels before you get one.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have an Apple TV, and I totally LOVE it ! We get Netflix, YouTube, Hulu+, HBO+, something called VEVO, and Vimeo, all kinds of sports channels, weather, and news. Plus, it has all the iTunes movies, and plays my iTunes songs, and shows all my pictures as a screensaver.
    I can put everything on my ipad on the TV, ams when i am on Skype, i can do that woth the tv also.
    There is more.
    Flicker , that shows pictures, and I don't remember what all the rest are, because we don't use all of it.
    But there is a LOT, and it is well worth it, in my opinion.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Personally I have a Sony streaming media player that I picked up a couple of years ago at Costco for like 80 bucks. It gets the job done, there's nothing fancy about it - it just works. It also allows me to plug in my USB stick so I can take movies off of my computer and transfer them over to my TV with it. I've used the Roku player, and was very pleased with it as well - it's probably one of the best on the market currently. Just be sure to pay attention to which model you get, because some of the less expensive models are really limited.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not purchased a Roku system yet but I do plan to get one soon as I want to watch Netflix on the tv instead on my computer. I do have a question, does the Roku act as an antenna giving me a better local picture?