Roomba Or Other Household Robots

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • Jan 26, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Has anyone here ever used one of those robotic vacuums or maybe a robotic lawnmower? I just think these are the coolest things. I always thought they'd just get better and better over time, but I don't recall seeing any new household robots lately. Have you heard of any?

I don't see myself buying anything like this, unless someday they are cheap, standard, household appliances, but I do think they are very fun and interesting. Have you tried one? Did you like it?

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried one yet either, but like you I've always wanted to try one. We just renovated our house to be a more open concept and I would love to try the Roomba to see how it would do. I really don't like to vacuum and the idea of being able to program a vacuum really appeals to me. I wonder if they are quiet. You could run it at night and wake up and the floors would be clean. I've seen them at Costco for around $400. If they work well, it would be a good investment to never lug a vacuum around the house again.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, nice. Are you loving the way your house turned out?

Ouch, I didn't realize they still cost so much. Yeah, it really would be worth it to me, anyway, if it worked well. I am partially disabled and vacuuming is very difficult for me to do. Waking up to clean floors sounds delightful.

Can I get one that does the dishes too? :D

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen the commercials and thought you'd have to have really big and spacious rooms to make such an investment and the money, of course. They should advertise a lifetime warranty with it as well for as much as it cost. If I won it at an auction that is the only way that I would get one but it would have to have all the paper work with it and hopefully a warranty that is still valid.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of the Electrolux of the olden days. Their most popular product is the vacuum cleaner which sells for 5 times the cost of an ordinary vacuum. But with the tv and print ads of Electrolux, people are buying. Their come on is the installment scheme that lets you pay the purchase in 2 years. I wonder what happened to that brand of vacuum now. And with the high-tech vacuum now that is robotic, I would gladly buy that if I can afford it.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Not meaning to rain on the parade as such - but as I started investigating robotic floor cleaners - not just the ones that vacuum but also the ones that wet mop as well as vacuum - almost a year ago now - I have to admit - having now tried many different makes and models - that I'm extremely disappointed.

As although they sound very impressive in the sense that you can program them to work even when you are not home - as they will take themselves back to their docking station once they have finished their task or if they are running out of energy - I haven't as yet come across one that functions well enough to warrant the cost.

Particularly as - many of the very significant downsides of these cleaners far outweigh the few benefits - some of which are

a short battery life - not really man enough for large floor areas - as apart from cleaning less efficiently the more the energy reduces - many didn't take themselves back to their a docking station - but generally conked out in the middle of the floor - as they'd run out of energy.

some although reasonably efficient at cleaning - took an incredibly long time to do the task - meaning like 5 – 6 hours

many had a tendency to get stranded on the way back to their docking stations - due to the fact that they filled up pretty quickly - as their dustbins were way too small for the task

the biggest downside however is the noise - with the Roomba being the major culprit in this area - and although some may be able to sustain five to six hours of listening to something resembling a screaming banshee roaming around their house - it was sheer aural torture for me.

That said - having just recently seen a demonstration of the Dyson 360 eye in action - if I did have to choose one - it would very definitely - although mind-blowingly expensive - be the Dyson.

7. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My Grandma uses bObi by Bobsweep. Its about 299.00. She really likes it. Its been running for years without a problem. My Grandma is in her 80s and they have a cat but she is still independent and doesn't have anyone come in and clean her house for her. Its spotless, more than mine! But I think the vacuum robot helps. She just turns it on and lets it roam all over the house. I think she knows at what point it is finished. It takes more time than a normal vacuum, but for someone who is older like her, it might take less time than it would for her to do it. I would highly recommend it for older people. Although this rates low on the list of best robot vacuums when you google it, she is happy with it.

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got one for Christmas. It is OK, but to me it is more like a toy, I mean this was not an expensive one, and it has it's limititations. It is fun to watch it run around..but you have to monitor it, or it will start running into things...or getting stuck somewhere. I was running it in the bedroom on a rug and it got some hair wrapped around the rollers..I would not really recommend them, for heavy duty vacing but I have laminate floors here so it is OK, I guess.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences, everyone. I guess such tools are a bit too expensive for what they provide, unfortunately. Oh well, I figured it was worth investigating a bit. I suppose they'll eventually make a good one that is a bit more affordable, as happens with most technology. I'll be eagerly awaiting that time, so I can add it to my Christmas list one of these years, ha ha.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a fan of Japanese animation, I think Roombas are cool because they're the closest thing to having a robot maid. But they have certain limitations, like the fact that they can get stuck in corners. So until they make improvements to the Roomba, like being able to vacuum corners and play music through a Bluetooth speaker like DJ Roomba from Parks and Rec, I think I'll pass.