Rotten Tomatoes

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Cryyo • Jan 7, 2015.

1. Cryyo

CryyoMember

Threads:
    What is your opinion on Rotten Tomatoes as a source for reviews? I find that a lot of the critics tend to overrate foreign films (aka films of a language other than english) for some odd reason. I don't have a problem with foreign films, but Rotten Tomatoes seems to give almost every single one 90+% it's absurd. Otherwise I usually trust their judgement. What sites do you guys use to find a movie to watch?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never paid much attention to Rotten Tomatoes reviews. I don't even know who provides them. I often get attracted to new movies that are mentioned on my FB news feed. If there is one that especially grabs my attention, I usually only ever read the summary of it. I don't care about reviews or any star rating. I just go by my feeling. If it sounds and feels good, I'll go to the cinema, video store or search for it on netflix. Taking the risk of being confronted with a really bad movie is part of the fun. :)

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I use rotten tomatoes on occasion but I found that this site is my favorite:

They give you more of a summary than a review so you can see the rating, you can see what movies are similar in genre, and of course they give you a personal rating but I am not sure what that is based on - viewers ratings or their own critics. Its a little less personal than rotten tomatoes and doesn't have any humor, but I think I get more detailed information. They also have an interesting section that gives you 'mistakes' or interesting facts in the dialogue. Its a nice way to have background on the film prior to viewing or afterwards.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no favorite movie review site. In fact I've learned that I can get better reviews on Film blogs.

Rotten Tomatoes and Meta Critic may have lots of different [re]views for the same movie but most of those reviewers are out mostly to point out why people shouldn't watch a movie. They are not objective. That's why most of the reviews on those sites aren't that helpful.

So normally when I'm looking for a movie review I'll use the appropriate search query and select the first movie blog I see in the SERPs.

5. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I also use IMDB more than Rotten Tomatoes, but I have so far been in agreement with the reviews RT gave out concerning shows and movies. I imagine foreign movies get a better rating because... well, it's so easy to see the shtick in US movie. And the tropes and other patterns. Compared to that, foreign movies are a breath of fresh air. I don't think they all have 90%+, I think we are just more likely to see the better rated foreign movies than the unknown and bad productions. Whereas people still search and watch out a lot for bad Hollywood production.

So even though I don't feel the same way about many critiques on RottenTomatoes, I have found some great shows and movies on there that were definitely worth watching! I also saw some movies I love having a less than stellar note, but hey. Cannot expect a review site to have my tastes exactly!

6. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Imdb is the site I trust the most though but if I find a movie on imdb hasn't been reviewed, I go to rotten tomatoes. I somehow find thier reviews to exaggerated sometimes and when a reviewer says "its a good movie" Its mostly not.

Most of the time, I just go to these websites just to read the sypnosis and the plot by the way.

7. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    In my honest opinion, Rotten Tomatoes is a bad film reviewer site which I never agree with their silly ratings. Recently I saw that Hannibal TV series has 100% rating, the utter ridiculousness of this is beyond words, because this imply it is the best show ever made throughout all the past, present, and future! I would have believed a 99.9%, but for the show to have a perfect 100% is nonsensical. My to go for movie, TV show, or film ratings are the reviews from IMDB or various other critic sites, which are more reasonable and credible in their judgments.

8. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I feel that Rotten Tomatoes tends to gravitate towards the extremes, with either rave reviews or total bashings. I think that many reviewers seek to conform with popular opinion instead of genuinely stating their own thoughts on the movie, for fear of being judged. I do use the site, but I take the ratings with a pinch of salt.

9. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I trust Rotten Tomatoes. I think that their reviewers are very cool. The reviews of the movies are pretty funny too. Most of the time, when they give a high review for a movie, I watch it and when they give a collectively bad review for a movie, I stay far away from it. I did watch at least two movies which received high reviews from rotten tomatoes but eventually, I found out that it was full of crap. Then again, reviews are just opinions of different people. What may click for one person may not for another. What may be a good movie for one may not be good for another.

10. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    I do trust Rotten Tomatoes' opinion when deciding if I should go watch a movie. Maybe it's because it influences me, but so far I haven't found a movie where the general consensus ended being incorrect.

I'm sure that this trend won't stop soon, so they'll continue being my main source of movie reviews.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I find it enjoyable to read but that's about it. I just like seeing the reviews for films that I either hated or loved and to see how many of the comments there agree or disagree with my own as well as possibly seeing some other aspects that I might have missed. As for the overall score, however, I don't pay too much attention to it as I personally tend to like movies that are sometimes universally panned.

12. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    I must say that Rotten Tomatoes is the site that I constantly check if I want to see a movie mainly because I know they know what they are doing so it is a sure thing to trust them in terms of movies. But most of the time I still pick a movie by it's imdb mark, what I want to say is, if a movie has a mark lower than 5 there is no chance that I will watch it. Maybe I'm too picky but I think that my time is important and I don't want to waste it on a bad movie with a good trailer. This is why Rotten Tomatoes helps me pick a good movie when I want to see one.

13. Atlas_Hope

Atlas_HopeNew Member

Threads:
    I think Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB are the best film sites to go to due to its ease of use and variety of opinions available, but what the critics base their reviews on compared to the common viewer is much different which is what you have to keep in mind. A dumb action flick is generally going to be rated lower for critics because it lacks the story components and artistic merit they want. I like to generally combine the critic and consumer rating to get an average whilst keeping in mind what type of film i'm looking at.