Round Table Vs Square Table

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Alexandoy • May 27, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When buying a table, consider the shape – round or square? Most wealthy families have a round for their dining table. They say that is for elegance. But for the simple people, the advice is to get the square table because it saves space. Another advantage of the square table is when you are extending it like placeing 2 tables side by side, it can be unlike the round table which you can’t place side by side. But the most benefit you get is the cost. Definitely the round table costs more maybe because of the wasted material in cutting. So if you are not after the elegance then the square table is most practical to buy.

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Every table I have purchased have been squared shaped. I always consider them since they are cheaper like you mentioned. I never thought of the the other benefits actually but now that you mentioned them I do agree and I have always been used to the square tables. I rarely see round tables being sold at the stores I go to I guess since they are peoples preference.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    The square table and the round table have their own advantages and disadvantages. For a matter of style or elegance as you made mentioned, round table is preferred than that of the square one or to modify it to a rectangular table.

The round table accommodates a lesser person and it is too comfortable for the users than that of the square table which could serve more persons. In general the shape of the table speaks its mood or style.

4. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I like round table however, I have rectangular table. I am using rectangular table because it was cheaper than the round table and it also saved space. In my house, all kinds of tables, from tea table, computer desk, to dinning table are in square or rectangular shape. You can save money when you buy square or rectangle table.

5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that I also prefer the look of a round table, probably because that is what my parents had when I was growing up; but I am fine with a square or oblong table also. I really like the ones with sides that fold down because you can fold them down and the table takes up very little room, and then you can open one leaf or both of them when you want a larger table area.
    Those are expensive too, or they can be; but the smaller ones are fairly low priced.

6. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer the square tables because I find them much more charming than the round tables (which by the way, are always very simple). The square tables have a more appropriate essence for a house and I think it always fits better with the rest of the furniture.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We always had square or rectangle tables. I guess I like square or rectangle dining tables for I've grown up with square and rectangle tables. Square or rectangle seems familiar growing up with them, so I guess I'd get square or rectangle dining tables too. Square and rectangle has added benefits as was mentioned too. Square tables being less is great too!

8. SheleyJ

SheleyJNew Member

Threads:
    Round table looks so gorgeous. I like it really. lol

9. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I guess I am a more practical person, and I always prefer square table. In fact, I think square table looks more elegant and modern. I have always been seeing round tables in my grandparents' house, and I always think those are good for big family to sit together at the table. For small family, square table looks nicer and more suitable. As you said, it saves space too.

10. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am not really sure that I have thought about this before, but I wonder if there is something to having a different one that would affect something. Maybe more families have square tables than round ones???

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I've always thought that long, rectangular tables are the more elegant ones, @Alexandoy@Alexandoy !

In my case, I don't have to choose between rectangular and round because my dining table is both rectangular and round. :D
    This is another furniture item I inherited from my parents - it's a narra table that can be folded on the left and right side to transform from round to rectangular table. It's a durable piece of wood and it's been with the family for decades. It was very popular back then but I don't see anything like it in furniture stores these days.

12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    We have a round table with lazy susan that is gathering dust in our backyard. It was placed there because my dad bought a rectangular table. I think the round table is a good space saver and can be used for smaller families. We are originally 4 in the family, so the round table just fits us well, since it was also pressed against the wall, so I think it could accomodate up to 5 people.

13. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Its interesting to know that from calculations derived from
    mathematical calculus, a round shape takes more space than other
    shapes. This means that its more cost effective to purchase a smaller
    sound table compared to a bigger square table. Appearances can be
    deceiving because a square shape seems to be much bigger in magnitude.

14. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I like the round table for dining and if I have enough space at the dining section in my apartment then sure I will be going for the round dining table. This sort of makes food, drinks and others on the table appear closer to every one seated at the table for food. Not just for dining I am sure I'll chose round table over flat ones at the reception too.

15. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I have a rectangular table, but I've been thinking about shopping for a round one at some point. I think the space in which it will be used is also a factor. The way our room is, I think a round table would actually fit better. It would take up a bit more space in the center of the room, but it wouldn't be as long. I think it's easier to get more people around a round table as well.

I'll have to start comparing prices. Where do you like to shop for tables?