Running A Car Into The Ground

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Jason76 • Apr 5, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Basically, I'm referring to inexperienced drivers, and I used to be one, simply refusing to care for a vehicle - eventually either causing suicide for the vehicle or costly repairs. Has anyone done this thing? Note, it's similar to someone owning a computer, and I've seen this situation happening, and then never putting an anti-virus on it, never cleaning the files, and even sitting on it :D - if it's a laptop.

Anyway, can anyone think of ways to educate owners of cars, and other expensive things for that matter, on how to better care for things so they can save money? Is it worth the time, or should it be a situation where people learn by overcoming failure?

2. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I know what you mean @Jason76@Jason76, and I have been there. My first car was a really old one, so I just did basic maintenance to it now and again, I could really invest in proper maintenance. One time I changed the oil, and the guy doing it said that wasn't oil anymore, it was almost like black water.

These days I give my car proper maintenance once per year because I invested in it, and I cannot do such an investment again, so that's the best way to educate owners, making us value what we have. ;)

3. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Many people know the basic rules like checking the oil, the coolant, and the transmission but they never do these tasks. Some never service their vehicles until something goes terribly wrong. It's mostly not the education that is lacking, it's the will to do what is necessary to protect their investment.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only care for the car that I can think of is the regular preventive maintenance check. Our previous car was a Honda Civic that was with us until it was more than 20 years old. But we had never neglected the preventive maintenance check every 5 months (every 4 months is advised for new cars). At least we were using that old car in running condition and we were forewarned of potential problems like low battery or rusty radiator. It’s good to have a regular check for the car that can give you peace of mind.