Running Outside Vs Using A Treadmill

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by mbuzma • Dec 25, 2017.

1. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    When do you think buying a treadmill makes sense, and do you own one ?

I don't own one and I am wondering if there are any benefits to using a treadmill in comparison to just running outside, in nature. These devices are quite expensive where I live, especially the better known brands.

If I do decide to buy one, do you think buying more expensive treadmills is worth it, or should I just stick to cheaper stuff ?

#1Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    What is your purpose? If you do, do you have enough money? These are practical questions if you could answer them, you know what you are going to do. This may sound rude, but the decision is yours to make. But if you want my own opinion, if I am rich I want to buy treadmill, for I can afford it and it is practical to use. There is no reason I could do my exercise if it is raining or the weather is bad. In running outside, it is the best exercise and it costs you nothing. But you could do that exercise when there is an inclement weather. So you know the advantages and disadvantages. The decision is yours to make.

3. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I like running and I prefer to run outside. I am not that into exercises and so buying a treadmill will make me anxious or feel like there is a routine I have to follow.

I never treat running as an exercise so I can be able to enjoy it. If you have an exercise routine, then getting a treadmill will be suitable. It is expensive but it is worth the investment. You can choose to save or buy in installments.

4. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I think that you're the better judge if buying a treadmill is worth it. In my case, it's not worth it because I get to walk a lot on a regular basis and it's free. A gym session in our area only costs less than a dollar and that gives me access to gym equipment like treadmill, stationary bike, weight bench, etc. Since I only go to the gym once a week, I'm more inclined to pay the session fee instead of investing on a treadmill which I'm not likely to use regularly anyway. It may be different in your case though.

5. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you on not getting a treadmill unless one is looking at starting a training routine. It's not for someone that is just working out just for the sake to keep fit.

6. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    Why would I spend much on a treadmill when I know that running outside is going to save me lots of expenses while I achieve close to the same result. I would rather save the money or invest it on getting a weight lifter instead of buying a treadmill.

7. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I personally think running outside is a bit more effective then spending money on a treadmill. Your just wasting away extra money, plus there is the chance it could break down or someone could get hurt using it. Running outside seems to be a better option helping you money wise and health wise.

8. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think the treadmill is a great training exercise for your outdoor running-but they are not quite the same. I would say running on a treadmill is a lot easier than running outside-and the belt kind of assist you when you run on it,and also you have the weather conditions to deal with as well when you run outdoors. Something I like to do, is run in place with some heavy hands or weights-inside while listening with my headphones to some YouTube music-and its very cheap this way, as well !

9. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    It depends. I mean here at our place there is no good place to run or walk like garden or track for the same. And going far away everyday on vehicle is not that comfortable. So in this case it will be good to have machine for me which I don't have it now. But if someone is having good place for the same around, then that is the best option compare to any machine.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For those living in a condo and has no area for running, I guess the treadmill is the best solution for a good exercise. That’s the advantage of having a house and lot that we call single detached. A lot with space that we can use for the exercise. Besides, our village has a park that is designed for joggers so I don’t need a treadmill.

11. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have done treadmill only rarely since I have good opportunities available where I live. Even during the stay in a hotel I did not utilize their services but went to nearby parks to do my regular running and jogging in natural environment.

12. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Parks are ideal place for the workout. I wish I can have such place near by us. But right now it is quite far away and to got there I need vehicle for sure. So going that far everyday is kind of uncomfortable. So I wish I can purchase treadmill for home. I am thinking about it since long but I am really confused on it as even family members have different opinions.

13. Kiama

KiamaMember

Threads:
    Everything has an upside and a downside. Let's start with treadmills. They give you convenience to run at the comfort of your home or estate. You do not have to worry about the weather outside, you can run anytime of the day you want. Running outside also has its advantages. You get to enjoy nature and clean air outside. It can also help if you are having an emotional issue that you want to deal with. You can also buy a treadmill and still run outside once in a while.

14. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer running outside anytime over running on a treadmill, but I've been using the treadmill recently because I am in a gym, and those 10 minutes treadmill are a part of my global workout. So, if it's just running, it's outside, but if it's workout plan, some treadmill doesn't hurt.

15. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Treadmills take up a to of room and they are heavy if you have to move them. However, if you have the room for one then it is great because you can exercise on the treadmill regardless of what the outside weather and temperature are.
    We have one of the foldable exercise bicycles, and it is one that you can use either standing up of sitting down, so it is similar to a treadmill when you are standing on the steps.
    We much prefer going to the fitness center; but when we are not able to go for one reason or another, we can still exercise right here at home.
    We have just gone through one of the coldest storms ever to hit the southern United States, and it was too cold to even try to start the car, so we just stayed inside and didn’t go out walking like we usually do every day.
    Now it is warming back up, so we can go to the fitness center again. I think that if a person has good weather and can exercise outside that it is the best way to exercise; but that is just not always possible.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Let me admit that I am going to a public park which is almost 8 km away from my house at my current location in India and I go there by a two wheeler as I have no intention to go there running or jogging as it would be too tiring now. I still save a good amount compared to what I will spend if I join a gym in nearby beside what I get in natural environment is an added benefit.

17. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    8KM daily, that's really long. Well, surely it is good and better compare to gym charges. But having treadmill at home can be useful for you. Surely doing walking in nature is totally different thing compare to using treadmill. But for me right now waking up early is almost impossible. I can do it at evening, but daily going by vehicle is bit uncomfortable.

18. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I am not using a treadmill because I like to run outside, I like to feel the nature, breath the fresh air. I run three times a week and I feel great. Besides I like to run with a partner and talk a lot!

19. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I have thought about getting an exercise bike in the past but many people have told me that once the novelty wears off it just gathers dust and never gets used.. I like walking so I think I get enough exercise for my age .. a treadmill would probably kill me!

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually I prefer natural ways of exercising compared to pumping iron therefore I go to the park which has all the facilities like jogging and running tracks for different age groups. By the way one such park was just in front of my house in Australia which had both the facilities but even there I preferred natural exercising. In my present location in India I have a public park right in front of my house but it has not as many facilities as in the park as in a park 8 km away from my house.