Sales receipts how long...

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Lostvalleyguy • Mar 15, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    How long do you hold on to those receipts? Forever, an hour, lost it before you got home?

With the exception of food, I like to hold onto my receipts for the length of time I have the product. This means that every so often, I go through and purge the receipts for things I no longer have or are well beyond the point of being returnable. For items that might be stolen, sometimes the receipt is good to have if you ever need to make an insurance claim.

All too often, I hear of people who bought something and cant return it because they can't prove they bought it somewhere.

How are you with your receipts? Do you protect yourself by hanging onto them?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also tend to keep my receipts for as long as I have the item until the receipt gets lost or when I throw it away. I keep them to take note of how much I have spent on various items and to compare if the price increased or decreased as time goes by.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    When I read the title, I thought this thread was going to be about how long receipts are....like this:

image(1).

In general, I don't keep receipts for very long unless it's going to be for tax purposes or I really expect to return an item. Otherwise, I just throw them away immediately.

4. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I also thought this was going to be a post about how ridiculously much paper sales receipts use. :)

But I never hold onto receipts unless it's a big electronic purchase. With food and clothes, I tend to immediately throw them away. The only time I don't throw them away is if I'm in a hurry while clothes shopping and don't get a chance to try something on. Also, I buy a lot of things on sale and the stores I shop at have a no-return policy on sale items, so there's no point.

5. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I usually loose them before I get home. They are stuffed in my purses somewhere or fell out in the car. I recently joined a program where I scan everything I buy and need the receipt to verify how much I spent in the store. I am working harder trying to keep a hold of them and I set out a little box to put them in when I get home. I am terrible at it, but trying. I wouldn't keep them longer than a week because I have to send in my scan each week.