Salt As A Weed Killer In The Garden

Discussion in Home & Garden started by remnant • Nov 2, 2017.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Salt has properties that dessicate or dry substances by removing water
    from them. This quality makes it to be an effective weed killer when
    dissolved in water in its concentrated form. Its as cheap as it comes
    and not detrimental to beneficial organisms like bees

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Salt might kill the weeds; but it is also going to kill anything that you are trying to grow there, so I would not recommend using it in a garden. Pulling the weeds out by hand is probably the best and safest method; but it also the most time-consuming and labor-intensive.
    You can also just use boiling water poured over the weeds you want to kill, and it will not corrupt the soil like putting salt will do, and it will kill the weed just a efficiently, and is probably even faster and cheaper than using salt or any other weed killer.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I never tried other methods to kill weeds other than pulling them out as I don't really know what would kill the other plants too. I guess I will keep pulling them out as there are mixed reviews on how the methods may or may not affect the rest of the plants. Hope one day I will find a method that will eliminate that labor.

4. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    It's the first time that I have heard this method. I will definitely try this since I have a ton of weeds growing in front of our house. We do hire people who cut the grass once in a while but they always grow back fast. I will try this method and hopefully we won't be hiring cutters again.

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this but it seems like it would work, but I would have to be really careful about not getting it on anything around. It would sure be cheaper than a lot of other options.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a backyard gardener and I know that salt can prevent weeds from growing. However, it is not practical to use salt against the weeds simply because it is very expensive. I’d rather pull the weeds myself than waste the salt on those pesky weeds. Besides, the soil may be affected that even your plants may get dried up.

7. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    How will you separate weeds from other plants before applying the salt? Salt is hyper-tonic to the cell contents of the plants and you may end up losing your important plants in the name of weeding them. Salt is also very expensive . I would recommend you use a cheaper method of doing away with the weeds like using a hoe.

8. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, who told you this? It is true that salt will kill the weed and will not hurt the bees but the biggest problem is that you will not plant anything else in that garden, I mean...if you plant flowers or vegetables, it will not grow there.
    This is what I know if you add salt in the ground nothing will grow there anymore for a lot of time.

9. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Salt is not a great option for getting rid of weeds. It is acidic and will kill your soil. It might get rid of weeds and things like ants and worms but the negative long term effects on your soil outweighs the positives.

10. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:

I agree with this response. I also doubt if salt is a weed killer. Even if you pour salt concentration on the soil to kil the weed, the rain or any existing water in the soil will neutralize the solution and the weed will still survive. :D

11. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I've heard that salt is a good weedkiller but I have dogs and I worry that they might lick it and damage their health as it's not good for them. I usually tip boiling water on the weeds between the patio stones and that gets rid of them quite well.

12. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    Wow this is genius plus it is a less harmful and chemical free and environmental friendly. I will gladly do this when I own a garden.