Salvation Army And Good Will

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by kana_marie • Mar 15, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I will be the first to admit they have both saved my butt more than once. I have been invited to several formal situations and not had the money to go to one of the more expensive stores. I have also bought children's summer clothes from them and never had any regrets. My question is do you ever shop at one or both of these thrift stores? What do you like to purchase from them? Clothes? household items? Books?

2. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I used to shop at the Salvation Army, quite a while in the past now that I think about it. I was more for bits of clothing. It wasn't a consistent thing but it was something that I'd do few times a year. I'm nowhere near one now so haven't visited one for a while.

3. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately I have both in the nearest town to where I live. I give them all my clothes that aren't worn anymore. My only issue is "who should I give them to this time?" They have both been so helpful to me and my family that I can never decide who deserves them or needs them the most?

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy and donate to the Salvation Army all year round. I think they are a wonderful institution and help many. I simply like to browse through their clothes and furniture departments and see what kind of treasures I will find. I also regularly donate money to them.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    You can always divide between the two charities, kana_marie. This is something that I do all the time. Both have genuine mission statements that are helping communities. If you feel that one deserves it more than the other look at their mission statements and see which one tugs at your heart the most.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I browse and buy at all goodwill stores. I don't buy much as I don't need much these days, but I buy more household things and books. These days there are more stores to choose from, but buying from them does help give back and at least you know where the profits are going.

7. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I shop at different Thrift Stores in my city and they are my first go-to stores for everything. I have bought clothing, household items, sleeping bag, dog kennels, and many things! I don't like to pay anything without a sale price or discount percentage on them.

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I used to have a salvation army near me, but they closed it down after so many years of operation. My Goodwill also moved so I have to go out of town to even find one. I love hot the Goodwill gets Target's left over merchandise. You can find some super cute things for a few bucks.

9. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought many things from thrift stores in the past an will continue to do so. They tend to have some good items that are sometimes as good as new and who can complain about the prices. I have bought thins like furniture, clothes, appliances, and shoes. They have furnished my apartments in the past and I am glad for them.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy the majority of my clothes from the Salvation Army and other charity stores. I just can't afford to pay the prices in the stores so thrift shopping gives me an affordable alternative. Besides clothes, I also keep an eye out for books and homewares as there are some fantastic savings to be made.

11. mstaffney

mstaffneyNew Member

Threads:
    I have shopped at both Salvation Army and Goodwill. When shopping at Goodwill I like to purchase pots and casserole dishes. I have found a cast iron skillet which isn't like the ones they sell in the stores today. Some drinking glasses can run you as low as .25 cents. Salvation Army I found some business suits as low as $8.00.

12. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I find the stuff at the Goodwill and Salvation Army to be a little pricier than the independent thrift stores, so I tend to go to those less often than other stores. But If I'm hunting to find something and I happen to pass a Goodwill store, I'll go in and take a look, since they do tend to have a lot of things to look at. I mostly am looking for clothing.

13. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    These are my favorite store on the planet! I love used clothes, they are so inexpensive and you can get some really unique and high quality items that barely look used at all for so little money. I always look at Goodwill first if I need something, and if I don't find it there, I go to ebay.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that some of the stuff seems a bit overpriced, considering that it's used. I do shop at both though. I tend to look at Salvation Army first and make donations there as well. Then, if I'm not finding anything good, or if something is overpriced, I go on to other charity shops. We have a local one that supports good causes, so I like going there as well. Their prices are very low and they always have unique stuff, so it's rare for me to leave there with nothing.

15. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    I don't mind second hand books. There's no issue with that or furniture but I think clothes from someone else is something I would never do. I'd rather buy less new clothes than old used ones from someone else. Its just not something I like to do

16. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    My local Salvation Army and Goodwill aren't all that great.

I do love thrift stores in general, though. My favorite purchases are almost always clothes or shoes. They're so much cheaper than buying them brand new.

17. junemoon

junemoonNew Member

Threads:
    When I go to either of these establishments, I get lost in time. I just love a good bargain. I want to look at everything. My husband and kids do not like to go there with me. Not because they do not like the places, but because it will a good two to three hours before I am ready to check out.

I buy it all. I have found some beautiful cashmere sweaters in the past. My collection of picture frames comes from both stores. I am an avid book reader, so I usually come out with a stack of books, too. The list goes on and on.

I must admit, I love it when I find an item that is on sale there. Even with the cheap prices to start off with, it just makes me really happy to save money.

And as mentioned, it is nice to support both of their missions.

18. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I have donated to both of these stores. I also have no issues with shopping at either one. You can find plenty if name brand items there. Ive found $40 like new shirts there for a couple of bucks. They typically dont have the best selection of jeans and khakis though. Typically have to buy those new.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never bought from their actual thrift stores, but I have donated a couple times several clothing and home items to Goodwill. I am not opposed to the idea of getting clothes at a thrift store, I actually think it's a great idea if you find what you need. However I was never very lucky on the thrift stores I have been too, so I'm never keen on trying to get clothing from them. I did however, get several home items at thrift stores before.

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to shop at both stores. I call it treasure hunting, because I never know what I am going to find. I get clothes, household items and anything that looks interesting. I can not wear metal on my skin so the only jewelery I can get from the thrift store would be a beaded piece of jewelery.