Samples Before Buying?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Miaka_M • Apr 15, 2016.

?

Do you use samples?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to health and beauty, the best thing about the industry is that you can actually try things before you buy them. Of course, you would think that everyone knows that, but some people actually think that samples are just being cheap. I have a friend that refuses to ask for samples, because she feels like people will judge her about not being able to afford the real thing. But, how many people actually think this way? I personally believe that samples should be a main stream request because not only do you get to try the product, but you get to save your money if it does not work.

The worst feeling is purchasing a $30 cleanser and realizing that it does nothing for your skin. I think that some big brand companies should also offer samples (free samples) such as: Neutrogena and Colgate.

What are your thoughts on asking for samples before buying items, such as: creams and perfumes?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As much as it's practical to actually use samples first before officially buying a product, our department stores do not offer samples. There are so-called testers but you only get to use them for a brief moment. You can't bring anything for free, much less have enough time to make a purchase decision. But if the situation changes here, I'd be more than willing to give samples a go before buying a beauty product.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I agree 100%. Clinique will give out samples of their moisturizer. About 20 years ago I picked up some and used it. I loved it and have stuck with it ever since. Giving out free samples is a win-win for both the consumer and the company. You get to find out if you like a product and then if you buy it you can be loyal to the brand. Also it shows confidence in their product, the company knows it's great and will give out samples to prove it. I have often gone to beauty counters to ask for testers/samples. It's a great way to find out how a product works before you commit to buying it.

4. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Lush is a great example of this. They give out samples of pretty much all their products if you go into the store and ask to sample them. They'll also often throw in some samples when you order online to try and get you to order some more. I've even heard of them throwing in full size products for free before if you spend enough on an order.

5. emilyclark

emilyclarkNew Member

Threads:
    I think quality of the samples are better than the product available in the market :)

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Having worked behind a beauty counter for many years, there are fewer samples available as they cost a lot to make. Companies will invest in them for a launch, but usually only then. As for products like Neutrogena they don't usually offer sample because the products are off the shelf ( as in not expensive) and if you do react you can return it to the store.

The idea of samples is a) to make sure there is no reaction, and b) to get someone to buy the product. Obviously if one counter gave out samples and the person went elsewhere to buy, it's not really fair. Once you understand the business, if a counter is given samples, they have to have sales to justify having them or the counter stops receiving any, as it comes out of the tester and sample budget each month.

7. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    This is why I love South Korea... They aren't cheap on giving out samples. We do have Korean beauty stores here in my country and they do give out samples, but not many. From what I've experienced, having been able to go to South Korea, they give out free samples once you buy a product from their shop. And they give out a lot of samples as well, from skin care products to make-up. You don't even have to ask them for it because they give it automatically to you.

I have yet to find such stores in my home country. Even the local ones are cheap on giving samples. I do know of one mineral make-up store which gives out free samples once you asked for them but other than that, no more. And I think, like another poster said, it can be a win-win situation for both parties. If I ended up liking the product, they you have a forever loyal customer. And if not, at least you have tried and I won't be mad that I wasted money on a product that didn't worked for me.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I always get samples whenever I can, and a lot of the time I can make those last for quite a while. The sample perfumes can last for a week or so, as can the moisturisers. I will always pick up anything if it free so long as I know that somebody can use it for something useful, so I will save a lot of money in the long term from doing this.

9. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I use samples, but only when I get them with online purchases or when I can purchase a deluxe sample size for cheap. The truth is I hate going to Sephora/Mac/Department stores. I always seem to run into some kind of problem with the sales staff and I get social anxiety so that doesn't help. I think you should be able to request a sample of a mid range to high end beauty product but in reality I mostly trust reviews, swatches and my instinct just to avoid going to the sales people.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From what I remember, the only samples I get from the mall and department stores are the shampoo and lotion in small packets. There was a time that the sample distributor (promo lady) was a friend of our housemaid. She gave me a ton of shampoo samples, each packet is good for one use. We went home with more than 50 of those small packets of shampoo. With the lotion, I sometimes ask for more from the sample giver and if I don't like the scent then I give it to our housemaid. But definitely for me, samples are great.

11. DanielleDavidson

DanielleDavidsonNew Member

Threads:
    I do agree that more big brand companies that want to charge a lot should be giving out samples. I think that it's totally worth it, because I'm sure if they did have samples then more people would end up buying their products.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course I would love free samples, but so far, the only ones that I have come across are the perfume samples and the free taste of alcohol in those exclusive membership shopping malls that I went to.

13. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    That is the best part about that industry you are right. I always like it when they have little samples at the grocery store, but they are usually the items that I never really want to buy, but it is a nice little gesture anyways. You can't argue with getting anything for free, and it is probably a good marketing technique for the companies.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think this is the best way to shop and it should be taken advantage of as long as it is available. I understand those who might feel squeamish doing this because I believe that they feel embarrassed because they think many people only ever get samples and never buy and they do collect a lot and the sales people do end up knowing about it one way or another. I have seen and heard of people doing this and I believe it's the main factor in preventing others from partaking. I understand why they would take advantage too though since if they can get away with it then why not, but it kind of ruins it for others at the same time.

15. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It seems like most companies use testers. For instance the Body Shop and Crabtree and Evelyn for instance allows you to try their products prior to purchase. I can't remember the last time I got a regular sample from a store. I am sure it has happened, but I just can't think of them. Usually I get sample products from doing surveys, or as freebies various places.d H have even gotten them from fairs or community events.

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like Clinique products, and this is how I was introduced to them as well. Way back when, they also offered free make overs from time to time. My friend took me to have one on my birthday. I think I was about 17, and I still like their products to this day.

I have no problem with samples or trying the testers on the perfume counter. A tester is how I found out about the Estee Lauder fragrance "Beatiful." I still love it to this day.

I probably wouldn't have bought any of these products if I hadn't tried them out like that. I think it's a good thing, and not wanting to waste money is not the same as just "being cheap."

17. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Samples to me are a way of creating brand loyalty. Its true some people use samples because they can't afford the real thing but this is normal since one can always look for money to buy in future. Most of the companies that give samples are new or establishing new product lines. I have a concern that some of the companies give excellent packages as samples but once the customer base is established, they lower the quality of the products.