Sampling

Discussion in Food & Drink started by chiofthenorns • Sep 6, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    For an event, let's say a wedding or a birthday celebration, do you prefer to sample new buffet services or caterers than to order from trusted ones. In the recent wedding expo that I attended, there was a food sampling booth for a catering service. My mom said that I should just use the caterer that we have known for a long time, but I think that sampling a new one is also good.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    For big celebrations, I would go with the ones I already know and trust. I wouldn't want to risk ruining a wedding by trying out a new service I had never had before!

In general, though, I love trying out new restaurants and whatnot. Many caterers are willing to share some samples if you're considering their business, so I would always ask for that first no matter what.

3. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    Before I make a decision on anything that is dealing with an event, I always sample. I could use the people that I already know but I like expanding my options. I like have a different caterer for each event that I have. Using the same one all the time could get a little boring for guest.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You should always sample because it gives you an idea of what they can offer as you may have special dietary requirements and need to see what they can offer. Some cannot offer kosher and have to outsource, so it is good to see what others can offer, in quality, choice and value.

I would also use recommendations and ask for several sample menus. Obviously it is local, so you know who has a good reputation either through word of mouth or on the internet.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It can't hurt to sample, but the other thing you need to keep in mind is that you have no idea how good they are at preparing food for large crowds, and how reputable they are for showing up on time and making sure everything goes smoothly. Just because a caterer may have some good recipes and can prepare them in small batches for taste testing, does not mean they are prepared to handle large events or react well in the case of some unexpected problems. A more seasoned caterer that you know and trust will likely be prepared for all of this and not be caught off guard.

You should also consider who will be attending and what kind of food they would prefer. A newer caterer may be trying out some trendy food items or recipes, that perhaps an older crowd may not enjoy. I couldn't imagine serving some chilpotle lime chicken with a spicy habanero sauce to elderly people for example. They might prefer a more traditional salad, than one with candied nuts, herbed goat cheese and edible flower petals in it, as another example.

The trusted caterers may also know all the local banquet halls better, so they know what they're in for, instead of being surprised by what's available to them when it comes time to set up.