Sandwiches!

Discussion in Food & Drink started by alc89 • Nov 12, 2012.

1. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Hi, everyone -

Like many people on this forum, I pack my lunch to work every day. Sometimes, I get creative and I pack something awesome. Other time, it's leftovers from last night's dinner. Occasionally, I'll just bring a bunch of snacks that end up filling me up (a yogurt, a piece of fresh fruit, some crackers...). A good go-to is sandwiches. Easy, peasy! What are your favorite sandwiches? I typically don't do anything too crazy, so feel free to share your recipes.

I usually do simple sandwiches, like peanut butter and jelly. I can never be too old for that, to be honest. A ham and cheese sandwich is the same, too - a little bit of mustard is a nice touch. I know a friend who has very elaborate (but delicious!) sandwiches that she brings to her job - she ends up separating all of the ingredients and then builds the sandwich at lunchtime.

2. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I am pretty simple when it comes to sandwiches. Like the OP, I am very fond of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches too! I also like roast beef sandwiches made from left over roast beef and turkey sandwiches with turkey I get from the deli. I use fresh Portuguese buns and just plain mayonnaise, lettuce and tomatoes as garnish.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If I pack a sandwich, it's gotta be on some sturdy bread or bun, like crusty bread or a hard roll. I can't do the plain old white sandwich bread, it goes flat when you cut the sandwich in half, and it doesn't hold up well to moisture and being wrapped up for several hours until lunch.

One of my favorites from leftovers is a meatloaf sandwich. I don't even bother heating it up, I like them cold. I'll just spoon a little extra sauce over it and throw a good handful of parm/romano on it then wrap it up. I've even made sandwiches with leftover stuffed peppers the same way.

I do like to get a little bit fancy when I'm making sandwiches, only because I wan't it to be something substantial that fills me up, otherwise I'll be hitting the machines for snacks a couple hours later. If I'm doing turkey breast, I like it with pesto, roasted red peppers, smoked provolone and some mixed greens or arugala. If I do roast beef, it's usually with swiss, mixed greens and some horseradish mustard (one of my favorite condiments these days!).

One of my favorite sandwiches however, is from Jimmy Johns. It's their veggie sandwich, I get it on their multigrain sliced bread instead of the rolls. I don't even attempt to make these on my own, because I would easily spend quite a bit more than what it costs to just order one from them. They put like a 1/4 pound of provolone on there to begin with, along with an avocado spread, bean sprouts, lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, and roasted hot peppers if you ask for them. It's really filling. In fact, on days when I'm not starving, sometimes I will only eat half and bring the rest home for a light dinner. In that case, I really don't mind spending the extra money for it.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    One of my favourite sandwiches is not one I could make to go, as it's a bit complex, but it's wonderful. I spread wholemeal bread with garlic mayonnaise on one piece, and fresh tomato paste on the other. I add sliced cucumber to the mayonnaise, sweetcorn to the tomato paste, and fill the middle of the sandwich with tuna. A sprinkle of freshly ground pepper and you have sandwich heaven right there on your plate.

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite kind of homemade sandwich is with cubed boneless chicken (possibly a leftover from dinner) on a bread that's sturdy enough to handle it, like a roll.

6. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    Sandwiches are great to bring for lunch. They are easy to make, healthy and easy to eat as they don't require being put in the microwave for 3 minutes like frozen meals. I really like sandwiches and like to spice mine up each day. The other day I made a Penne sandwich. It was so delicious! I took the penne noodles with alfredo sauce on and put it on my bread with some tomatoes and black olives. I used some french bread to make the sandwich and it turned out amazing. I also make BLTs and just use cold bacon. I get sick of the same peanut butter sandwiches everyday and like to make mine different. I can also usually find some delicious lunch meat in the deli section at our local grocery store. Buffalo chicken lunch meat or cajun turkey are some of my favorites.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I like to make big sub sandwiches like this:

We'll have them for dinner and then I'll take the leftover chunks to work with me as leftovers the next day. Then I only have to make the sandwich once technically, but potentially have dinner....my lunch....the kids' or partners' lunch....and potentially another day's worth of sandwiches....all ready to go at once time without really any extra effort.

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I make a simple turkey on wheat with pepper jack cheese. I try to take mustard packets and I keep my lettuce in a bag so that it doesn't make my bread soggy. Haha I guess I am just picky, but it tastes great with some kettle chips.

9. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    This thread is making me hungry! I usually have fairly simple sandwhiches like PB&J or ham and cheese. If I do have veggies or lettuce, I will pack them separately and add them to the rest of the sandwhich at lunchtime. I hate soggie lettuce and tomato soaked bread.

10. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    What a great, simple sandwich. Some whole wheat bread for that nuttiness and a crisp lettuce will really round it out. This is definitely the type of sandwich I can bring - not high maintenance at all. The mustard packets is a great idea, too. I would rather do a simple, but delicious, sandwich like this one and bring a lot of snacks. Also, kettle chips are the best! While you can't go wrong with good, old fashioned, Lay's potato chips, kettle chips are really fantastic. I love the sea salt and pepper one!

11. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I do not make sandwiches often, but with Thanksgiving right around the corner, I love making grilled cheese and turkey sandwiches. Sometimes I will add a little spinach in there, but I prefer my sandwiches without it.

12. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Sandwiches are difficult for vegetarians. Also, sandwiches are pretty gross when you fill it with those cans of meat and cold-cuts are bad for you all around. The only type of sandwich that can be good for you and filling is a tuna sandwich stuffed with tomatoes, cheese, cucumbers, etc.

13. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Make me this and you'll get me into bed.

receta-de-sandwich-italiano1.

14. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Is this because sandwiches make you sleepy? ::innocent look::

15. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I think it just takes some work, to be honest. I've had great experiences with vegetarian sandwiches. While I don't agree with you about using meat or cold-cuts (since I am not a vegetarian), I don't think that the "only sandwich that can be good for you... is a tuna sandwich stuffed with tomatoes, cheese, cucumbers, etc." I have eaten great vegetarian sandwiches that include so many vegetables. A lot of "California" styles will include avocado and sprouts, which are delicious.

16. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure exactly what you mean since sandwiches can be different. The only time that I've had an oily sandwich is when the dressing was oily. In most cases, though, I usually just use mustard or very light mayonnaise (I'm not really a fan of mayonnaise in sandwiches). And heavy? Perhaps if you go to Subway and get the works on a sandwich, it'll be very heavy. But, sandwiches can be pretty filling without making you feel like you've just eaten a ton. I think that as long as the ingredients are good, sandwiches are a great meal and can be very healthy.

17. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    I LOVE sandwiches - usually, the more unhealthy the better:) My current favorite is the lamb gyro from a local Lebanese restaurant. They make their own pita bread and sauce, and they slow-roast the meat. There are very few things I can eat two of at a sitting, but this sandwich is one of them. I sure wish the place was open right now.

18. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Uh... yeah, totally. Sleepy. That.

[​IMG]

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I'm on a budget, I make a sandwich with only mayonnaise or cheese on it, it still fills up my stomach just the same, plus I get to save some money. :) But if I'm not cost cutting, any type of ingredients are fine. I personally like my sandwich to have ham, cheese, mayonnaise, lettuce, and tomatoes in it. Yummy.

20. sulliman

sullimanNew Member

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of ham salad sandwiches with relish. The problem with sandwiches is that the meat can be really expensive. Sometimes at the deli, I see ham at $7 per pound, which is outrages. Here's a trick that I recently learned: Buy ham from the meat department and not the deli. If you go to your grocery store, you will find hams for $3 to $4 per pound, which is a lot cheaper than the deli. Sometimes, you can find hams that are pre-sliced. It's a cheaper way to enjoy your ham salad or ham sandwich.