Save A Lot beats Walmart on Grocery prices

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by SavvyGirl2014 • Jun 4, 2014.

1. SavvyGirl2014

SavvyGirl2014Member

Threads:
    I used to do my grocery shopping at Walmart, because I was saving a lot of money and getting a good bang for my buck in comparison to the regular supermarket. However, this time around, I visited Save A Lot. Save A Lot is the best thing to ever happen to me in regards to grocery shopping. I literally had an entire cart full of groceries and the amount came out to $101. I couldn't believe it. Even with Walmart, I would spent about $250 or more for a full cart of groceries, and $250 is on the super cheap side. The norm was about $300, and thats not even getting everything we wanted. I will always use Save A Lot as my main go-to now. Except for their meats, they can be a bit old looking and freezer burned, so I would suggest somewhere else for that.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have enjoyed shopping at Save-A-Lot when there was one in my area. The prices are good the selection can be a limited at times but for the basics it is a good place to save some money. You do need to take your own bags when you go shopping or you will have to purchase bags at the store.

3. SavvyGirl2014

SavvyGirl2014Member

Threads:
    You are absolutely right. If someone goes to Save A Lot looking for the well-known name brand products they are used to getting, they will definitely be disappointed. But it really is good for the basics and just to save a buck. We actually skirt around the need to have bags because we use the boxes that they leave at the front of the store for customers to put groceries in. I know I used to hate it because I was so used to having my things put in bags by the cashier and leaving, but now I don't mind because I can usually find some empty boxes at the front and saves me the cost on the bags. :)

4. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    Save A Lot has great prices. You can especially save money when you look at their weekly deals and coupons. This is a store that I always go to. I Agree, I would not buy their meats if you are looking for something fresh.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yeah, I think there are a lot of options that are cheaper than Wal-Mart for groceries. Most people seem to lean on Wal-Mart when they want a "one stop shopping place." So they want to do their grocery shopping while they also get their clothes and their cleaning supplies and their lawn and garden needs, etc.

I don't really see it as a grocery store to go to just for groceries usually.

6. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    Try Aldi, too. I always find good stuff there. Their meats can be frozen to be eaten later, their veggies can be great, especially when they first come in, their fruits are fine if you're selective and they've been getting some good health foods in, including gluten free stuff for those on that sort of diet. At the one near me, I recently bought some limes and avocados so I can make guacamole once they ripen properly. And there's a lemon and a grapefruit in there I can use should I want something sweet. The baby Portobello mushrooms were on sale for like 79 cents each and I'm thinking I might use some today as well. (I used them on the pizza we made yesterday.)

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to snub Save-A-Lot for many years, because I had stopped in there once or twice and all I saw were some weird off brand products and they hardly had any selection of specialty stuff. But these past two years, I've fallen in love with the place. The big game changer for me was when I realized many of their store brand items are actually really good, and as good as if not better than the brand name versions in some cases.

For example their "Baumann's Best Sweet & Tangy BBQ Sauce" is fantastic, and it's even made with real sugar - no high fructose corn syrup. The flavor is nicely balanced, it's not too overly sweet and it coats the meat nicely when you brush it on. It's got a much more layered flavor profile to it as well, unlike stuff like Kraft BBQ sauce, which just tastes like straight corn syrup with red food coloring. I've already raved many other times about their Diane's Garden brand crushed tomatoes (which for some reason they aren't carrying right now). Their "Jade Dragon" brand soy sauce is also really good - it has a deep rich flavor, and doesn't taste like a bunch of artificial chemicals, as do many other dollar store brand soy sauces.

Their produce is decent. Though you typically need to use it up right away, since it's often just on the verge of going bad. But when you can buy a bundle of fresh cilantro for like 25 cents, whereas it would have cost over $1.50 somewhere else - that all starts to add up. Sometimes they even have 5lb bags of potatoes for only 99 cents.

They also have a special with their meats, 5 packs of fresh meat, mix or match, for $19.99. For a single person, that's a great deal since that's a whole months worth of meat for dinner for under 20 bucks.

The only thing I would advise people to steer clear of is their frozen seafood. Much of it comes from China and is farmed, which is about the dirtiest fish you can buy. Plus they soak them all in chemicals to make them swell up and look a lot bigger than they really are. Any time I bought a bag of frozen fish filets, then brought them home, thawed them and cooked them, they shrunk down to almost 1/4 of their original size. Plus they had a really strong sewage like smell, especially the shrimp, which can't be good.

8. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Walmart keep offering this kind of things but what i dislike about them is the way they treat their costumers that isn't very impressive of is not something which can be beyond the statistics so yeah learning from those which helps us in moving forward are good enough.So yeah this is how it all goes.

9. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I wish they had save-a-lot where I recently moved I used to like shopping there in my old state. Plus there was an added bonus to the store being small and there was less walking and searching for things. It's probably only in southern states.

10. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Walmart has good prices but one thing I also don't like about Walmart at least the store I had been going to is there will be a good price on the shelf but once you get up to the it will be higher at checkout and you can point it out to them but then they have to go and send someone to check it out and it holds up the line. It's like they're just hoping you don't notice or something.