Save Money Buying "imperfect" Items

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Oct 27, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most retailers will offer discounts on electronics if the packaging is far from perfect or the items themselves are imperfect because they've got a dent or some other "cosmetic issue." This could be the result of rough handling while the "merchandise" was in transit. This doesn't necessarily mean whatever you are buying will not work as well as it should.

Though a discount is offered on the items that aren't perfect, you can drive the prices even lower if you are willing to bargain. Few people want to buy such items so the retailers will do whatever they can to sell them.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I did not know it that they do this for electronics. I purchased a cosmetic problem Trolley Dolly from amazon and they had it reduced $10 from original price just because it had a few scratches that you can't see on the bag. I scooped it up right away after I verified what the problem was and how bad the cosmetic problem was. It was a real bargain and I needed it for I ride the bus and I sometimes need to buy gallons of things that are so heavy to carry. Just because of a little scratch that you really can't see I get a bargain. It's good that electronics have this because they can be pricey. Thanks for the tip.:)

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We have surplus shops and thrift stores here that sell both local and imported overruns so I usually do just frequent these shops instead of buying brand new for the bulk of my wardrobe, especially for items that will be less noticeable like plain shirts. Some of out local stores also will sell their damaged or old goods at certain seasons by the way of clearance sales. I prefer to shop for these items instead of buying second hand because the price is about the same and aside from a few imperfections they are still brand new which I think is still much better than buying used without the imperfections when they are priced the same.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Department stores and supermarkets here have their promo gondolas which contains items with dented packaging. The discount is around 10% and sometimes higher. The usual items there are canned goods, milk in cartons and sometimes there are soda cans. Take note, the packaging has a damage but the product is good and far from being expired. We usually buy the canned meat but not the soda because with a dented bottom, the soda can wouldn't stand on its own.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes when seconds are due to packaging then it can be a bargain, but you need to check things. Some clothes are sold as 'slight imperfects' and usually there is very little wrong with them. These are usually sold at sale time as 'special purchases' in stores. I do buy them if they are considerably cheaper than the 'perfect' price, but some aren't much cheaper and in many cases you can't return these items, so that is one thing to look out for.

6. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I never experienced this yet but given the chance, I don't think I'll grab this kind of offer. I know that most members here are keen on saving money, and I respect all of us for being thrifty. However when it comes to electronics, I always want to buy something brand new, without defects, and looks as if it just came out of production. Yeah.. That's how delicate I am when buying electronics. I'm also very careful with my stuff so I don't like if my things have dents and dirt before I have the chance to lay my hands on it.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Oh for sure - huge savings can be made by doing this.

In fact I can highly recommend doing it for most things - but especially when buying expensive household appliances like dishwashers, washing machines, fridge/freezers etc - as not only have I found it to be one of the most cost effective ways of buying these items - but with a full 40- 45% off - for what were small blemishes or dents that were barely visible and a full manufacturers warranty - on a brand new appliance - they have been some of my best bargains yet.

Its much the same with furniture too - particularly as many furniture stores will generally offer a 30 to 40% discount on display items - that rarely have anything wrong with them - other than a collection of dust - sometimes even more if they are in the process of switching the models and are keen to have the space.

8. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, done this several times. Though I always make a point to thoroughly inspect the item first to ensure that it's going to work properly, despite any possible nicks or scratches or whatnot. My electronics usually get beaten up enough that I don't care how they look, but the sale price is no good if the item is somehow faulty.

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that there's anything wrong with buying items that are less than perfect a lot of the time, but you do have to be careful that they still work properly, and that it is only visual issues that are the problem. I have done this a few times and have no regrets about it, so it is definitely something that I would do again.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not sure where you find these options that you might be able to use to save money. It is an option that might be worth pursuing. I am a fan of getting of buying refurbished items, which many times work better than newer items since they receive more careful attention. I guess it is the equivalent of "scratch and dent" furniture.

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I often buy food in damaged packaging. As @Corzhens@Corzhens says, there's never anything wrong with the contents, it's just that the tin is dented or the box is torn. With regards to household items, it all depends on whether the damage can actually be seen and how extensive it is. You can certainly get some great discounts from the bargain bins though.

12. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    We have certain stores neare that specialize in this type of imperfect merchandise. Such stores include Ollie's and Big Lots. I do not regularly visit these stores, however, when I do I am not disappointed. I usually browse the wide selection of books, stationary, and office supplies found at these stores. Most of the time there is nothing wrong with these items. I have also found great deals on boxes of cereal and granola bars, which are usually flavors that are not popular in the big box stores, so they end up at these warehouse overflow type stores. I usually only purchase food items like these if they are from a well known brand. Also, these stores can have great deals on disposable paper products as well as food storage bags.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of our first sofa for the living room. It's a cheap and small sofa with an original price of 1,200 (that was in 1988) and is being sold on a discounted price of 1,050. And why so? There are noticeable scratches on 2 legs of the sofa. That got us thinking because it's only the varnish that was affected. After buying, I myself applied the varnish that cost us 12 pesos so we had a bargain of more than 100 pesos.

14. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I do buy slightly damaged goods on a regular basis. We have stores here in Western Pennsylvania that specialize in overstocks and scratch and dent merchandise. It's a great way to save money on what you would have paid full price for elsewhere but I am careful to remember that if I do want I need to buy it because it may not be there next time. The stock rotation is a bit of a challenge so I never use those stores as a primary shopping location.

15. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard of people doing exactly just that: buying things at lower prices if it has a few scratches or bents. I see it on TV people buying dented cans of food for less. When it comes to electronics, it depends on where the scratch or dent is. Like for instance would you buy a cd that had a scratch which could effect how it plays? It's things like that I would consider.