Save Money By Getting News Online

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Ke Gordon • Mar 16, 2016.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you forego a newspaper and get your news online? I think newspaper subscriptions are at an all time low because most people now get their news online. The only advantages to still getting a paper I can see is that coupons come out in subscribed editions of most papers, however, you can still get some of them in certain papers, which may save money. IN this area we have a weekly paper, which is not too bad cost wise. The last time I bought one, I found a coupon section in it. I often forget to look online at local events happening around the region, and i often find some in the paper, and the coupons were an added bonus, however, for the most part I get my news online for free.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Buying newspapers is something that I gave up doing probably around a decade ago now - simply because - I really can't see much point or even justify the expense of buying a physical copy of a newspaper - when not only is the majority of the content plus news from all around the World available in seconds via the internet - for free - but the online information is generally way, way more up to date.

To be honest - even if our newspapers did contain coupons - which they don't - as coupons are not used let alone accepted for anything where I live - I still wouldn't buy them - as apart from enjoying the benefits of the considerable savings made over the years of not buying them - I find reading the news online way more cost effective and in many ways preferable - particularly as - because you can select the topics that are of interest to you - it avoids wasting money on something - where you generally have to wade through pages and pages of subject matter that is of absolutely no interest - just to get to what you want to read.

3. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    Yes, not only do you have the expense of the paper, but also you have to remember to recycle it. I don't like papers sitting around. For a change of pace I will buy an occasional newspaper, but I don;t see it as a necessity. It is just something I might want to look at, and I found a good crossword puzzle in the one I bought.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always get my news online. And even when I'm not really looking for any news I'll stumble into news on the websites I visit everyday. Since I'm getting all that free, there's no reason why I'd spend money on a newspaper. I noticed though that there are some news sites you'll have to pay a subscription fee to access some of the content. I avoid such sites.

5. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    Yes, some of the sites will give you so many free views and then they want you to pay to access the site. My hometown paper is like that, I wouldn't mind paying them though because the economy from that area is pretty much in the toilet, and I would give them some support if I could, of course I haven't so far. I appreciate the service, and I don't have to pay for paper delivery!

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I don't tend to follow the news much anyway but what I do follow I do so online. I don't pay for the new I consume as most of what I see is on social networks like Twitter. Alternatively, I might watch the news on TV as that's already paid for anyway. I don't know many people that do buy newspapers anymore and I expect a lot of companies will be almost entirely online in another 10 years or so.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to have a subscription with a major newspaper here. But when the online version emerged, my husband stopped the subscription and just relied on the online version every morning. However, he buys the newspaper every Monday because of the New York Times supplement. And he gets to read 3 major newspapers. That's the glory of the internet.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Our household hasn't bought a newspaper in years. My parents used to buy them daily but when we moved where it was difficult to get daily newspapers delivered we stopped and only relied on tv news. Up until this day I don't think they get news online and only get news via radio and tv which I think is a good enough substitute since these days you can get reports all day from those sources already anyway and they are pretty much on par with how quick news spreads online.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dad has cable yet he still buys the newspaper every single day, so there are still people willing to spend money on newspapers despite the availability of free news. As for me, I won't buy newspapers at all, I'm not even interested in keeping up with the current events lol.

10. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Right now I only get the Sunday paper to get the coupons. I read the LA Times and I got a great deal of the Sunday paper only for $10. I save that much with just two coupon inserts so I thought it was worth it. I get all of my news online or from my phone app.

11. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I can't remember the last time I bought a newspaper - because all of the stories are available online literally as they unfold, whereas if you were to read a newspaper you would have to wait until the next day to be able to get the news. I save around $10 per week now that I don't buy them, and I know that I won't be buying them again any time soon. I think that printed newspapers are something that won't last for much longer, as everybody is going to have pretty much the same idea about them as I do.

12. Cilivren

CilivrenMember

Threads:
    I don't remember the last time I bought a newspaper. My main source of news are my apps on smartphone and TV. I love using apps to keep up with current events because it's convenient. I can read on my way to work while I'm on the bus or check the news while standing in the queue and so on. I don't see the point in spending money on something that is available for free, but to each his own!

13. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I hardly every buy newspapers these days. When I do buy a newspaper it is usually a weekend newspaper which has in loads of information that the weekday papers do not have. Recently the price of newspapers in our country have steeped up too, so if I am interested in reading the news these days, I usually check it out online. On occasion though, it is still nice to have a physical paper to look at, although I do not go out of my way to buy them like I did before.

14. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It's also possible to get coupons online but that might be a way that printed newspaper readers are not used to.

The printed local paper also has an online version. Nonetheless, some people hate computers, cellphones, tablets etc. and would prefer print and others just are nostalgic for the past.

15. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have never actually bought a newspaper in my life ever! Before the internet era it was all about borrowing newspapers from others. Listening to radio was more of the in thing.

After internet, it is e-news. If I go for a hard copy that would most likely be for the sudoku and other fun stuffs.

16. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really like to follow current events, but I do watch the news by chance on TV while I'm channel surfing. But I quickly lose interest watching it. My dad still buys newpaper when there's one available, even if he has cable and internet access already. He seems to think that the printed version is better than the online one.

17. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Before the advent of Internet, I used to buy national newspaper from my favorite local store for several years. It seemed I would be drained of my money of buying it. I made it every weekend to save money until I finally gave it up.

Since I didn't have any newspaper to read, I visited our local city library and there I read the newspaper. I could even reread the old newspaper for they're being bookbound. It's then my routine in going there everyday in the morning or in the afternoon except Saturday and
    Sunday.

Nowadays, I feel much better in updating myself of the news from the local scene to the international scence by browsing the Internet. I have favorite source of news. I prefer to read them from the Google News for they are categorizing the news based on their subject or topic. I seldom read the newspaper from the newstand or from the library. The Internet has solved this problem.

18. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    We still buy a newspaper in my home and my dad likes it the traditional way of buying a newspaper and reading the news over his coffee. It has become a habit for him and he feels sad without the newspaper, Also I like to read the news from a newspaper as I won't miss any news. While reading in online some o the news that's happening around my region. The feel is good while knowing the news from a newspaper.

19. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Nowadays, most people rely on the internet not only for entertainment and communication but also for news as well. We don't buy newspapers nor watch news on the television anymore since we have the internet to depend on. It's good to know that people are aware with what's happening in their environment, and also in the world. Thanks to the internet :)

20. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have been doing this for quite some time now, and it is actually kind of a shame because I loved newspapers and worked on some throughout my life. Just a sign of the times though, I suppose.