Save Money, Make Your Own Hummingbird Nectar

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Diane Lane • Apr 26, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to purchase nectar for the hummingbirds that frequent my area, as well as those who travel through on their migratory path, during the change of seasons. I learned though that hummingbird nectar is very easy to make, and that colored nectar isn't recommended, so I decided to make my own. Here's a recipe from the National Zoo / Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center, in case anyone else would like to try making your own:

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    My husband goes through a lot of sugar every summer making his hummingbird food all season.

I try to stock up on sugar over the Christmas holiday, when it goes down to $0.96 for a 5lb bag - knowing that we'll use it up the next summer. I've had to get creative about storage, but I figure as a dry good, sugar probably lasts a lot longer than we expect it to. Not to mention, I'm sure the birds don't care.

3. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Wow @clairebeautiful@clairebeautiful I would love to pay $.96 for a 5lb bag of sugar. Is that the price at Walmart near you? I think they tend to use the odd pricing like that, and they're the cheapest for baking staples like that, but I don't think I've ever seen it that low here, even at Christmas. I do tend to try to keep a few packages of that and also all purpose flour on hand, since I enjoy baking, so I should be able to make a few batches at least, before I have to go to the grocery store again. I pulled the feeder down yesterday and got it all cleaned and ready to go. Now I just have to make the nectar and re-hang it. I wish I had a place to hang it up here, so I could actually get to see the hummingbirds enjoying it, but the only place available is downstairs.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Oh no. Definitely not at Walmart. I realize many people mistakenly believe that Walmart has the best prices on most groceries, but I have found this is basically NEVER true. All my local grocery stores run sales on about a 6 week cycle. If I only shop sales, I can beat Walmart's prices by a lot, every time. The main thing is following the sales and waiting for them. It means you can't just run to the store and get an item you need right now. You have to have a 6 week plan.

Anyway, basic things going on sale in 6 week cycles, but there are also seasonal sales. Baked goods always go on mega-sale right around holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. One of my local grocery stores has put both sugar and flour under a dollar (with a limit of 4 bags) at least 3 times a year. If it is a name-brand, there's usually a coupon that pairs with it. I've actually found sugar for free, several times.

The best price for almost all my staples (bake goods but also regular weekly stock-up food like bread, butter, cheese, chips, and produce) is actually Aldi. No coupons taken there, and though they have a weekly circular, they don't run sales like bigger grocery chains. Their prices are simply the lowest.

My price point for most things comes from the regular prices at Aldi. If I see an item I normally buy, cheaper than Aldi, I stock up.

5. Diane Lane

Threads:
    My local Walmart actually has pretty good prices on most things. They definitely beat most of the other grocery stores in the area, particularly for produce, except for Aldi, which has the lowest prices, and is actually right across the street from the Walmart Supercenter. I just realized I was out of sugar, and picked up a 4 lb bag at Kroger. I bought the P$$t brand, which was $1.89, the lowest I've seen it here, ever.