Save Money On Heating This Year

Discussion in Heating started by Faye1232212 • Sep 22, 2015.

1. Faye1232212

Faye1232212New Member

Threads:
    As we ask know, winter is approaching. The stress of snow and cold weather is upon us so I've got a few points and tips that might help you get through the Winter that'll keep more money in your pocket:

1. Keep the heat at 69 our 70- I know there are many people who go to even 65 but even keeping it at a decent temp can save money. Wear sweaters or use blankets if you're cold.
    2. Try not to open the door so much- Opening and closing entry way doors during Winter can be costly on your heating bill. Make it a point to watch and curtail how much you open the door, it's sure to save some money.
    3. Eat food that is more hearty- In winter we often eat a lot of soups, casseroles etc. This helps us feel warm inside and is inexpensive.

These are just a few ways to save money. Use your imagination , it never hurts to save a buck!!!

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you forgot to mention one of the most important things in saving heat this winter. Weather stripping makes a big differences in terms of how much heat you use. Close and lock windows and put plastic over windows if need be. Yes, it doesn't look great, but it does safe money. YOu can also use draft dodges to keep the heat in your house.

3. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I try not to put the heating on at all as much as possible, and this year I am doing particularly well with that aim. I wear more layers of clothes, and because only the bottom layer touches your skin, this is the only part of the outfit that I will wash at the end of the day, meaning that the rest of the layers can be used for another day. This is a great way to lower your heating bill, because you just find that you're not cold enough to need it on.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a draft dodger that I use at the front door, because that's the one with the largest gap at the bottom. I don't wrap the windows, or at least I haven't in the past, although I have considered doing so this year. I normally line the window sills with beach towels, since they're larger than the normal towel, and aren't as bulky as blankets, which tend to fall off or be pulled off by the kitties. I have a space heater that I use just in the room where I happen to be. I mainly leave that in the living room, which tends to be the coldest room, since it's downstairs and in the front, where the wind isn't blocked by the house behind me and the fences in the yard. Up here is usually warmer, since heat rises. Another thing I will do is cook earlier, that way the oven heats up the house earlier, and the heat stays in the house for the evening.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Along with all the other tips that have already been mentioned a few other things that immediately spring to mind - that will help to reduce winter heating costs are

Only heating the rooms that are used
    Hanging drapes not just on windows but also on external doors.
    Putting rugs on non carpeted floors.
    Closing drapes before sundown and opening them as soon as the sun comes up - so as to take full advantage of the sun's free heat
    Turning your water heater temperature down to 120 F or 48 C also saves a huge amount.

And if you live in a damp house - using a dehumidifier every now and again will not only make the environment feel more comfortable and considerably warmer - but more importantly - significantly reduce your energy costs - especially as it requires four times more energy to heat moist air than it does dry air.

6. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a little late on this thread but I've read some interesting and viable tips to save on heating costs. I have been trying to figure out what would help me block cold air from coming in when the door is opened. As ridiculous as it may sound I've even thought to hang a heavy drape between the two doors. You can tell I'm desperate :oops:

7. Gavin

GavinMember

Threads:
    My recommendations would be to look at weatherization kits for the various things in your apartment/house. There's a film that you can put over your windows that wont' damage them and comes off pretty easily. You use a blow dryer for it to create a tighter seal. I've used it a couple winters and its pretty awesome. If you have a fire place, you can use it to create a heat source and cut your heat during peak hours. While I'm out of the house, the heater is set to 60, when I'm in the house its mostly 68 but I find my wife turning it to 70 - 72 this might be for several hours a day so the vast majority of weekdays I'm below 60.

Seriously consider taking a towel and pressing it to the door. This will block wind from just blowing in. When company comes over you can just hide the towels.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think an ideal backup plan would be to buy a non-electric heater which you can use even in the face of a power outage. Non-electric heaters run on fuel or charcoal, depending on your preferred setup. What's important is that the cost for operating them isn't as high and, so long as you're careful, you can use them throughout the winter season to ward off the cold.

9. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    The best method of saving money in winter is to make sure that the body which senses the heat is properly insulated. An effective way is used by some communities in Antarctica where they make clothing with two linings of fur one on the inside and the other lining on the outside. This results in maximum insulation and it would require a minimum of everything else to save on heating costs.

10. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well all of these suggestions are really helpful, and @remnant@remnant and others are correct in saying that the insulation of the home matters a lot when it comes to retaining the heat. For me, I try to just not use the heat as much as possible, which means warmer clothes and a having a fire going in the fireplace. Thanks for the tips.

11. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I am from a tropical country, therefore, there is not a problem there concerning indoor heating. I was once in the United States in the autumn of the year and the owners of the house that I stayed insisted the thermostat should not be above the 68-degree level. This was most uncomfortable to me. However, I stayed a night at another home nearby and it was warm and most comfortable there. I got a vague explanation that that home used subscribed to a different type of heating system. I am wondering if it was the cost that prevented the original home from having a similar type of heating.