Save money with coffee

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Apr 29, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you a cappuccino or a latte drinker? Did you know that if you drink a coffee you can save up to $500 along the year? Is this a daily sacrifice you'd do to save $500 per year or are the lattes and cappuccinos your guilty pleasure? :)

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    God, I've been trying to cut on my coffee drinking for ages! I'm kinda addicted to soluble coffee, the kind that comes in little bags. I drink two of those each day, and apart from being unhealthy, it's also bloody expensive. I'd be better off buying a coffee filter, but no, I have to buy soluble :( So yeah, I agree with you. I already made the calculations and I'd be saving around 0,5$ per day.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Wow, so you're not a step ahead of what I was suggesting lol, you don't even buy the coffee, but you make your own soluble one. So this can be applied to a lot of things I can only imagine, we can always trade something more expensive for it's cheaper alternative, considering we are not hurting our health.

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Prettycolors is on the right path here, making it at home if the way to go.
    I know a lot of people who just buy a coffee on their way to work in the morning when they could simply make it before they leave and save a lot of money in the long run.

5. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the type of coffee you drink. I make my own coffee at home so it's not really that expensive. I see no difference in taste with Starbucks or other more expensive coffee shops and the cost is only like 10% of what I would pay at Starbucks.

I really think going to coffee shops is more of patronizing a brand name and enjoying the coziness of the place more than enjoying the coffee. The coffee is just the same with what you can make at home.

6. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    I like plain old coffee brewed at home. If I am running errands and I want some, I always order regular coffee, I've never ordered a "fancy" coffee. I just can't do it.

7. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I guess I am fortunate in that I like my coffee black. I generally make my own coffee at home, but I will stop for a coffee now ant then in the middle of a long bike ride. i do this more to force myself to take a 15 minute break than for the caffeine. Black coffee is always the cheapest alternative. As soon as you start adding in adjectives to the name, you add to the price. Coffee is my vice and it adds to my food costs. Cutting coffee might save me some money but it might just switch me to a less healthy vice.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Ahah, it's great when we have cheaper habits! I don't drink coffee very often, but when I do I am happy with the cheapest one as mostly I am going for the effect of it and not the flavor. So, someone drinking it on a daily basis could save quite a bit.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I got into a habit of swinging by the local Caribou Coffee every day on the way to work, and even though their plain coffee's were only $1.50 each, that still adds up every month.

For $500 you could easily buy a nice cappuccino/latte machine and a burr mill grinder and make them yourself at home. Not only would you be saving a lot of money but you would also be saving a lot of time too, since you wouldn't have to leave early to go sit in line at the coffee shop.

My biggest problem when I was brewing coffee for myself, was that I kept making full pots thinking I would eventually drink it all, but I never did and ended up wasting a lot of expensive coffee beans.

10. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    Well, my monthly coffee bill is rather expensive considering the fact that I drink Starbucks. Of all coffee shops, I would get hooked on Starbucks. I get a Coffee Frappuccino almost everyday, which cost exactly $4.19! Yes, I'm spending almost 5 bucks on a cup of coffee. I know, my habits is ridiculous but I'm addicted!

11. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Keurig and buy the K-Cups. It's still expensive because they aren't cheap, but they're cheaper than the coffee shop. I stock up on them when they're on sale.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would like a Keurig, the K-Cups have a so many to choose from it is hard at times to decide which one you want to brew for the day. A stop at the coffee shop everyday can be an expensive habit and the coffee is not always that good. One cup a day at home is a more acceptable habit to my budget.

13. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    The best price that I have ever gotten on K-Cups was $3.99 for a 12-pack box. This was a steal because around here, you don't really get K-cups cheap or anything. I was so tickled, and so was my buddy! <3 I'm glad he gets to hang out with others at school, and I hope that mommy Sonja is feeling fine and dandy.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    There is a different coffee culture in the US than in my country. You guys there drink huge glasses of coffee, while we drink small, but mega powerful coffees, cheaper and the effect lasts a lot longer!

1.1286639485.a-bica-ha-3-meses-que-nao-via-isto.

15. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really go for expensive coffee breaks, I just pop one out of the vending machine for a dollar. But I thought K-cups have some fairly good deals when it comes to 12 packs, I've been buying them for almost a year now.

16. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends a lot on the type of coffee that you like to drink.
    If it's plain black coffee that you like, or with some milk, then it's easy to do it at home, but if you only fancy those cappuccinos, frappuccinos, mochaccinos, etc. then you pretty much have to go to a coffee shop.

17. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    wow, I'm truly a coffee drinker, I drink a total of 4 glasses a day. At work is where I have the most of it at because coffee is made all day until it time to go home. I truly think this is where I picked up the habit. I tried drinking the cappuccino it just doesn't do anything for me I love the taste. But I don't think that I would ever give up my coffee.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really like drinking coffee that much, and the only reason I drink it is because I need to stay up. But they do not have that effect on me anymore, so I have moved on to drinking energy drinks instead. But I don't drink energy drinks that often anyway, so I'm not really losing that much money per year buying them.