Save On French Fries

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Decentlady • Feb 14, 2017.

1. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    So most of us are french fries lovers. Whenever we buy a burger etc we ask for fries as the side dish.

The amount of fries that we get is hardly from 1 or 2 potatoes but the cost can virtually cater for quarter or half a kilo of potatoes. That's a huge difference which most people fail to realise.

The best way is to make fries at home and take along especially on journeys, outings or even to eatouts where allowed. It helps save a lot.

2. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Sweet potatoes are cheaper in my area so I make them my french fries instead. I cover them in salt before cooking so they can taste closer with potatoes. They are healthy and much more tastier. I have some pumpkin in my garden so I also make pumpkin fries. I bake them in the oven and it has the same crisp of fries but it has less oil.

Potatoes are not the only veggies you can turn into fries. Yams, butternut squash, pumpkin and celeriac can also be turned into fries.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I think so many of the restaurants would frown at that if they learn that you came in with french fries home prepared. It's like you aren't helping their business by so doing. The better alternative would be to go for a dine out where you can have all the stuffs outside of the restaurant. If I want to be economical in my spending I normally go for a dine out.

4. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady How do you make the fries? Do you fry them in a fryer or in a pan? When I make homemade fries, I make them in a pan but they take too long. If you use a fryer, will buying one be worth the investment? What type of oil do you use for a fryer? How big and how much should the fryer be and cost? Is there a way to cook it faster in a pan?

#4Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2017
  5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to buy the frozen french fries in big plastic bags. That is cheaper and easier to cook because it is ready-to-cook. However, there were times that we couldn't finish the fries and the leftover remained in the freezer for so many weeks that it isn't good to eat anymore. What we do now is to just buy potatoes and make our own french fries. It's quite laborious since we have to peel the potatoes, slice them and fry. But there's no more leftover beacuse we just buy what our capacity can handle.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have been making my own fries for a while now and they are way better tasting than the restaurant ones. My mom taught me how to fry them on a pan but like @TheKnight@TheKnight said they take too much time to be ready. I don't mind them taking too long sometimes as I can just leave them there and start preparing an hour before I plan to each them but having to check them for an hour can be annoying. I have heard it's better making them in an oven so I'm hoping I can soon own one.

7. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I'm totally addicted to french fries. :cool: I may even reduce consumption, but I never stop eating them. :rolleyes:

However, I always try not to spend so much money buying french fries on the street, and that way, I usually save a lot of money at the end of the month (which is very good, of course :p).

8. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    French fries is one of my most loved food at the restaurants. Sometimes I am not actually hungry I'll just go to any nearby restaurant order for a small pack of French fries which cost a dollar and half at my end. With the joint ketchup I am served it's simple superb food for me, I really do enjoy just eating fries and the ketchup alone

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really like them that much, but my son just loves French fries! I buy them in 1/2-kilo pack from the cold meats section of the local market where they cost a dollar per pack. That's so much cheaper compared to supermarket prices for wholesale fries. We usually sprinkle them with either sour cream or cheese and we don't need to dip it in ketchup or gravy. I, too, feel that restaurant fries are priced way too high so whenever we dine out, I always try to divert my son's attention to more nutritious and delicious menu items.