Save on train fares

Discussion in Travel started by rubydust • Jul 20, 2014.

1. rubydust

rubydustNew Member

Threads:
    When I'm booking train tickets, I've found that it often works out cheaper if I buy several separate tickets for each stage of the journey, rather than buying one ticket for the full length of the journey.

So for example, if you wanted to travel from Edinburgh to Birmingham, you could book one ticket for Edinburgh to Carlisle, and another for Carlisle to Birmingham. This method usually works out cheaper than buying one single ticket for the whole journey.

2. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a good strategy for saving some money. I may be more inclined to buy a ticket for the whole journey myself because it seems like less of a hassle but if it takes a few dollars off the price of the ticket then I'd buy several tickets at a time.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tip. I don't travel on trains very much, apart from the metro around the city, for which I have a special pass that saves me quite a bit of money. Whenever I need to go further afield, I look for a lift in a "share car". There is a website here where people can offer and find lifts to practically any part of the country. If you are flexible and don't mind sharing a car with strangers, it can work out very well. I use this facility quite often. It has enabled me to get on short holiday trips without paying much for transport.

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, that's a really fantastic tip, I never thought of looking this kind of stuff up.
    It doesn't really make much sense to have the shorter individual rides cost less than the long one but if that's how it works then we just need to take advantage of it.
    Definitely trying this out next time I'm booking a train ride.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Great, how much are you able to save. This is really good to do especially when you are travelling with your families or friends, when you are not alone though there may be a bit of a hassle and what if a ticket for the next station is no longer available as it has already been sold out.

6. daren

darenMember

Threads:
    is that really works? if yes then it is a great technique to save money. i usually buy one ticket to feel free and to save time. and one thing i want to ask what if you done get ticket like you said then?