Saving At Restaurants

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • May 18, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Other than ordering water instead of a drink, or skimping on the tip as some like to do, what is your best way of saving money when going to restaurants? Do you ever just order your food to go so you can avoid drinks and tips? If eating on site, what can you do to save money?

Have you ever split a plate? A restaurant I used to work at allowed this, but they did have an extra charge. The charge included an extra plate, plus one side, such as a baked potato. Even with the charge, it was still less expensive than ordering two complete meals. The meals were large, so this idea went over well, especially with older guests.

2. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    I use vouchers and deals whenever possible but failing that I just go to my favourite place where I know the food is good and reasonably priced. I know it's nice as I have been there before and the meals are a bargain, my fiancée's steak, my lamb, a HUGE desert each, her beer and our two other drinks came to under £40, total bargain.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I find it’s sometimes a matter of knowing what to order, i.e. the dishes with the largest portions. If splitting a dish isn’t an option, I always doggy-bag it. And if I want to eat somewhere a bit fancier than usual, I avoid going there for dinner and wait until I can eat lunch there instead. It saves a good couple of bucks at some places.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most places now do vouchers or a fixed price menu which can save you money. I know a lot of people ask for a cup of hot water and that makes their tea or coffee go further.

If I am on a budget and am out I will split a main course with someone or order a starter and a side dish instead which can be cheaper. As I am a vegetarian and those are the only dishes available I do this quite often and the restaurant can't say much if they only offer one vegetarian main course with cheese in which I can't eat. Sometimes my friends and I just order a couple of sides and the soup as well as we are really just meeting to talk.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I always search for vouchers or deals if I want to eat at an expensive restaurants. I am from the Philippines, so I find my deals at different websites such as Metrodeal, Ensogo, or Groupon. The deals there are absolutely worth every peso. I once tried eating at a famous steakhouse here thanks to vouchers. :)

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lots of great ideas. I think ordering the special can sometimes be a good option as well.

That sounds like a nice night out, Claire. Lunch instead of dinner is a really good idea, Leopardjones. That's great advice for saving a few bucks when checking out a new place. I can see where it could be an issue, Theo, so it's a good way to save and to also get what you need. That's great, @chiofthenorns@chiofthenorns. It's a treat to get to try out a nice, new place without breaking the bank.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Go there for lunch instead of dinner - many restaurants often offer lunch portions of their dinner menu, not only are they smaller, more reasonable sizes, but they're usually like half the cost as well. In fact, if you go at the tail end of the "lunch rush" (or get there just before it starts), you'll get much better and more attentive service, and your meals will likely be cooked better because the kitchen isn't slammed. If you can't make it there for lunch, but instead go during dinner hours - you can still ask if they will sell you a "lunch portion" of a given dinner meal, many restaurants will - I know TGI Fridays does for example. This is also, I think, a better option than trying to "split" a dinner and asking for an extra plate, which some restaurants will give you flack over.

Or just order a few appetizers - restaurants expect you to share those, so you don't have to worry about any "extra plate" charges. Just keep in mind though, if you're going in with any coupons or taking advantage of some other offers that knock X% off your check - you should still tip the server on the full price.

8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I avoid buying alcohol. I don't get any desserts. I try not to get appetizers unless the table is going for a 'tapas' theme. I like to find whatever I can online before going to the restaurant that will end up relieving my pocketbook. I tend to not go out if I don't have the money to splurge anyhow.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was not condoning skimping on the tip. I just mentioned it, because I've seen some discussion (sometimes, heated discussion) about it here. It's definitely not an option, for me. I don't do the split thing either, but people really liked it at the place I worked.

I usually at least check out the specials. Sometimes, they have good deals. I'd actually prefer just to eat appetizers anyway. I like festive food, and I don't end up too full.

10. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    Vouchers are definitely an option, as is going to restaurants that do deals specific to times of day. I'm a huge fan of finding ways to "game" the system (if that's the right phrase). There will always be deals out there. It's just that a lot of us are too proud, unaware or lazy to take advantage of them.

As for skimping on the tip, I wouldn't do that as a way to save money. But I will wait around to make sure that I get given any change I feel that is due to me.

11. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    I always make it a point to save money when eating out so I usually plan out where I'll eat and have the meal that I know is in my budget range already in mind. If I'm feeling a bit extravagant, I'd search up some coupons and discounts online and I'd dine at expensive restaurants but save a huge amount of money because of them. What my family does most of the time is we buy two main dishes and share both of the dishes. We'd get to taste two different dishes plus we get to save big time!

There are a lot of ways to save at restaurants. You just have to have the will to actually save and not be swayed by all the yummy food presented to you.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Having experience in the restaurant and being able to calculate quickly helps a lot, I think. If you've been there before then you'll know the serving sizes of dishes, and you could more properly weigh if they are worth the money in that situation. If not, then it's best when you can calculate and know which other dishes could serve more people because some dishes are expensive just because of The ingredients but the amount really is not that much, and paying for something less expensive but has the same amount can be a better choice sometimes when you are on a tight budget.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our trick in eating out is the budgeting of the food - not with the cost but with the volume. Say in a Chinese restaurant, we never fail to ask the server how many people can feed an order of fried rice. With the dishes, it's the same, we should know the volume per each order. It is not good to be eating only half of the food simply because of excess orders. But when dining out with guests, that estimating the amount of food is not easy.

14. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to use vouchers too. One of our favourite family restaurant is East Side Marios. They have Kids Club which offers 5 free kids meals. They also have unlimited bread and salad or soup with meals. We will fill up on the bread and soup/salad and take half our dinners home for lunch the next day. We also don't order alcohol and dessert unless it's complimentary. A lot of time I'll just order water with my meal. If the portions are big we'll have our kids split a meal too.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You make a good point. I know in one restaurant we've eaten in, the main dishes on the menu cost significantly less than the buffet. The buffet is tempting, because there are so many different choices. Yet, the entrees are substantial for the lower price. We end up getting more for less, and usually end up with extra food to take home. Ordering from the menu is definitely the better value in this particular case.

16. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    Our local restaurants are typically cheaper than chain restaurants and I feel that I am supporting the local community when I stick to locally owned and operated. And most local restaurant owners have specials each night or coupons in the paper. I have dated some men that would prefer to go somewhere where they are familiar with the menu and the atmosphere. I will try to convince them to take me to a smaller local restaurant but if they don't I don't worry cause they are paying anyway. :)

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Group on is a good way to save on going to restaurants, or having something available like the Entertainment book is something good to have. It makes things much cheaper and there are many two for one restaurant in the book. it is one of the good things that you need. it is just something helpful to have available when eating out.

18. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    In order to save money on going out to eat, my husband and I will use gift cards to go out to eat that we receive as gifts. We pair the gift cards with coupons or promotions for the same restaurant. For example, Olive Garden and Ruby Tuesday coupons are usually readily available in the newspaper coupons as well as online. We always look for coupons and specials online before eating out. Also, we enjoy promotions such as Half Off Appetizers at Applebee's after 10:00 pm.

Another way to save money while eating out is going out for breakfast or lunch instead of dinner. Most restaurants have breakfast and lunch specials which are priced much lower than dinner options. Also, many restaurant-bars have Happy Hour specials on appetizers, which vary depending on the day.

I would never skimp on a tip in order to save money while eating out. (I have posted on another thread in the past regarding this topic.)

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Thanks. At one restaurant we frequent, which is a Chinese restaurant that has a huge menu to choose from, prices vary a lot and if you're in a big group it might be more economical to order many dishes so you could taste many different ones but if you are eating alone or with just a few people, it might be more economical to just go for the individual or solo dishes that only cost a little. We would never have figured that out if we didn't eat there so much that we have pretty much memorized the menu and the prices.