Saving By Buying Smaller Eggs?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Jun 21, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I often buy medium eggs or in the UK, but now in the supermarkets some places offer cartons with mixed sizes. Both of these options are much cheaper than buying large eggs.

If you look for a large carton, many are now offering mixed sizes and you usually get a few large and small and the rest medium sized. It's a fairly new idea as it helps farms with random sizes to still sell the eggs and for them not to go to waste. Also it's much cheaper than buying either medium or large eggs.

If you think about it, if you are scrambling them, poaching or using them for baking you can't see the difference.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If smaller eggs are cheaper then I'll get the cheapest eggs. There were some places where the price difference was, it was assumed, based on the color of the eggs but a closer look would tell you why. The bigger eggs regardless of what their color was were somewhat more costly. The only eggs I wouldn't buy are quail eggs. Where I live one quail egg is about $0.15 Very expensive.

3. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I've also been thinking in a similar way. I always used to buy XL eggs but now realize that I really can't tell the difference between those and Large. At some point I'll probably graduate to Medium without really feeling the difference. It's funny how easy you can let a few dollars slip away here and there without really thinking about it.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never really noticed the difference myself. I have bought XL eggs in the past but was rather disappointed with them. Very little increase in yolk size and to me, that's the most important part.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Big eggs are difficult to buy here since only a few egg dealers are selling big eggs. In the grocery, the pack label says large but it is just actually medium in size. But I agree with the thread title that small egss are cheap and can save you money although the egg you eat are smaller.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't care so much about the size of the eggs as long as they are organic. Ironically, here where I currently live, organic and free range eggs are cheaper than battery hen eggs. And the difference in taste is enormous. But people still buy the commercial eggs, because the majority here prefers to buy brand name eggs... as bizarre as it might sound.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would buy a carton of mixed size eggs if they were offered at our grocers at a different size. I never really understood the need to buy eggs of a specific size to begin with. The only gripe I have about large eggs is that sometimes when I am in the mood to make some fried eggs, and I crack the second egg into the bowl or pan, and it ends up having two yolks - so now I got three yolks, which is more than I really wanted. It's harder to fry, and flip over the eggs in the pan with that extra yolk, and likewise if I were poaching them. I can handle poaching one or two eggs, but three becomes a bit cumbersome.

8. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    Huh, I didn't even know that. I mean there is normally only one carton to buy where I live, but cheaper is always better. I might have to start looking for those so then I can save money. I always just thought that they sold one size when it came to eggs.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, if you are really on a budget Dollar Tree sells a dozen for a $1 and they are fine. Obviously not free range, but the same as the ones sold in drugstores like CVS and Walmart. Often they will be found on the bottom shelves and not at eye level, but when needs must it's good to know there are alternatives.

10. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I have to say that that is a good idea. I might have to look into doing that. I mean I think that it would be a good way to get eggs because my boyfriend eats so many. I mean we go through a lot, so the best thing that we can do is buy a bunch for less.