Saving By Paying

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Noreht • Apr 22, 2016.

1. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    I currently belong to a few loyalty programs for various grocery store chains and they all are free to join and give me points back on purchases that can be later redeemed for store credit. I think we can all agree that this is pretty normal practice and a good way to save some money.

What I would like to know is what you think about loyalty programs that have a subscription fee? I belong to two of these, one is connected to a clothing account and the other to my medical aid. Before I share my own ideas on this I wanted to know yours?

2. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I don't see a problem as long as the savings are better than the free programs or you get some kind of special service with it. But, I don't see paying for a loyatly program with little rewards.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you would have to make sure you shop there often to make sure you re getting your money's worth. In a sense stores like Sam's Club and Costco are membership fee clubs that you pay to belong to, so a store loyalty club is not that much different. I hope the money is not too much though because some of the clubs like Costco and BJ's charge quite a bit of money for their membership fees.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It depends on the system they've put in place for me to consider it worth it, personally. If I feel I don't shop enough at that certain store then I'll just opt not to pay for the subscription. Sometimes if the calculations make it seem worth it I'll start buying from a certain store instead if I feel the rewards there will end up giving me more incentives than what I'm currently getting at the previous one, but that's rare since from my experience they all pretty much offer equal incentives to each other.

5. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I am currently not in any loyalty program but once I signed up for a clothing loyalty program which I failed to utilize it properly as I don't understand the way they work. But I am getting lot of offers lately so I hope I would try out any one program soon.

6. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    It's good to know that there are grocery stores in your place which offers free loyalty programs wherein you'll earn points while purchasing their products and those points can be redeemed. Well same here in our place, the only difference is that you have to purchase the card to avail of their program. It doesn't matter if there is a subscription fee or if you need to purchase something so you could join, what I don't like is that it will take years for you to get enough points which you can redeem even if you purchase tons of items from their store everyday :(

7. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I've enrolled myself in loyalty programs with the two biggest supermarket chains in my country. Although one initially cost me $3, it was worth it because it gave me several coupons that I can use outright. It is renewable every two years which is fine because I get to earn the required points from my purchases (I get 1 point for every $2 purchase). I was able to collect enough points in a few months that I was able to use it to buy a head light bulb in its partner hardware store and apply the rest of the points to my grocery purchases. It works because I purchase most of my meat requirements and canned goods from this supermarket and I get to earn the points. It has airconditioning and in a good location (along the highway) so shopping is comfortable and convenient.

On the other hand, I didn't bother to apply for loyalty cards in the two other grocery stores I frequent although they're offering them at one-third of the supermarket chain's price. It's not worth it because I'm only buying certain low-priced items from these stores.

8. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Loyalty program or patronized privilege for the store customer is an indirect way of saving money for every purchases made by the customer. In our place, we have mart and a chain store which issued a loyalty or royalty card.

What I am referring is the local mart, Prince Hypermart, and a chain store of 7/eleven. Both of them issued a card which records all the purchases made by their customers. The credits earned by their clients when accumulated are enought to be awared with items or products which the customers preferred to received.

It is indeed "saving by paying".