Saving For A Trip

Discussion in Travel started by Gelsemium • Jan 30, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you ever saved for a trip? How long did you do that? Did you manage to gather the money? And, finally, was the trip worth all that effort?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Literally everyone is going to answer "yes" to the first question. Most people don't just randomly decide to take a trip. They'll first think about it, save the money for it, and then they'll take the trip. The average person can't afford to randomly take a trip without saving, so the majority of people have saved for a trip. It's pretty simple.

3. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I have saved for many trips and some vacations took more time to save for. I would have to say, all the vacations I took were worth it but then I love to travel so any chance to get away is good for me.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I am actually saving now for my coming trip this November. I will be going home to my country of origin after almost 4 years of being away. I am actually starting to buy something for my families, relatives and friends as I know they are expecting to receive something from me no matter how small it is. Just the thought of it makes me so excited. I cannot wait.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't travel anymore so I don't save for that purpose anymore. In the past though, I normally set saved some money each year, which I'd use for vacationing the next year. So between one trip to the next, it usually took me two years [to save enough money] because since I loved traveling alone, I spent more money than travelers who get group discounts, share hotel rooms [to save money] etc, etc.

6. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I'm actually the person who does take trips randomly, I've never saved for one.

All the cruises we have gone on were at random times when I fell upon a good deal. Also a lot of our hotel trips are on free points, so we don't plan too far ahead in that instance either.

Saving is not a bad idea though, it might help us take some more expensive trips overseas. But either way I would still look for a deal and jump on it when I found it, regardless if I have saved up yet or not.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I saved for a trip to go to the Himalayas and it was worth it. Afterwards I knew how to do it cheaper as I booked a tour, but found out even though it wasn't expensive, it was for the area. These days I am more savvy and know that I can survive even if I haven't planned everything in advance.

8. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Er. I don't know. I've taken many trips, but I don't know if I can say I've "saved" for one. It feels like I didn't -- I just save money in general and then, when the occasion to travel arises, then I get money from my savings. Which I do believe is slightly different than to say that I've been saving for the trip. When I do expect to travel soon, I do be careful more with my spending habits, but nothing quite so specific as having a specific saving plan or saving place. So I don't know how long it would have taken.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually pay for whatever I can while they are at their cheapest price, especially plane tickets, and also e trips I've been taking lately have all been fairly near so I don't have to spend or save up that long fortunately. If I had to save for farther places, I probably would just save up as early as I can and if I calculate that it would take too long I might even try and find another source of income for the meantime.