Saving Money At The Theatres?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Miaka_M • May 18, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Going to the movies is always an expensive trip, I'm sure you agree. The tickets are pricey and the food is always over priced! How do I save? Well, tip number one is to go on a Tuesday (the cheapest movie day) and purchase tickets. You can't take in your own foods by hand, but you can conceal maybe water with a bag. I usually bring my own little snacks as well like chocolate covered nuts! This saves a ton of money! You can always have the movie popcorn as an option to purchase.

Another tip is to check to see if your theatre have any special programs. The theatres here have a membership program that allows you to earn points and get free Movie Tickets! Check it out. :)

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A great way to save money at the theatre is simply to not go. I know many people who have adopted such a method to save on cost over the years, including myself. But if you do decide that you do want to go, there is no avoiding the over-priced tickets. But there is an option when it comes to purchasing the over-priced snacks. If certain theatres that don't allow people to bring their own snacks, then simply place the snacks in your bag prior to walking in. They aren't likely to search you.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How do I save money at theatres? I look out for film festivals. Around August, the Japanese Embassy holds a festival selling a number of their famous cuisines and showcasing top-notch Japanese movies for free. In October, the European Union books one or two cinemas at a local mall for the European Film Festival. This would go on for a week from the moment the mall opens until it closes. Admission is also for free. Towards the end of October, the Korean Festival kicks off. Much like the Japanese, they set up stalls selling Korean food while people can watch any number of films free of charge through the duration of the festival. No cost. The same movie experience.

4. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    Where I am certain places provide discounts if you pay with certain credit cards. So rather than buy the ticket online (where you will get an extra transaction charge anyway), I tend to go to the movie theater to buy the tickets in advance. On top of that, I will bring in my own snacks - there can't be many less healthy food establishments than a kiosk at a movie theater.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also take along my own snacks in my bag. I like to eat chocolate when I go to the cinema. I also always take a bottle of mineral water with me. I am great fan of cinemas, so I don't really mind paying a little extra for all the atmosphere that I would never get at home in front of the TV or computer screen.

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m another one who just avoids going. But when I do, I sneak my own snacks in and avoid the overpriced concession booth. Movie ticket prices are exorbitant enough, after all, and my snack options are usually healthier anyway. My credit union does also offer a discount on movie tickets, but I have yet to take advantage of this.

7. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    I love going to the movies so not attending isn't an option especially since I have children and they love going as well. Tuesday nights where I am the ticket is half the price so that's when we go and I always sneak in my own water and snacks because there is no way I am spending the amount they ask for. I will however buy the popcorn because there is no other popcorn that beats it, but I do not buy it every time we go.

8. yvannahgeorgianne

yvannahgeorgianneNew Member

Threads:
    I research when the movie will be shown so I know how much time I have to save. I also watch the movie, if I have the strong will to wait, on its 2nd or 3rd week because the ticket price tend to become cheaper as time pass by. I also buy food at the grocery of the mall so it would be cheaper than those in the cinema.

9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I actually don't go to the movie theater nowadays. Not only because they are pretty expensive, but also because there are a lot of films you could watch for free on the internet. But if you really want to watch a movie in the cinema and you want to save some money, then the trick is not to buy food and drinks there. They could be a little bit pricey. Just bring a snack with you.

10. shanetx1969

shanetx1969New Member

Threads:
    You hit the nail right on the head! Great post! We also go on a Tuesday. We have always felt guilty for sneaking in a bag of candy. But hey, movie theaters have gotten outrages on prices. My wife and I have also been know to purchase one drink and share it. Also, one of our movie theaters has a deal that you can purchase a large tub of popcorn and bring it all year for a discounted price.

11. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I guess not going all together would be a good way to save money overall, but I do enjoy going to watch movies here and there. I'd say that Tuesdays are a great way of going where I am from, because the tickets are half the price. I definitely conceal my own snacks, they're too expensive.

Haha, don't feel guilty, you're still helping the economy by purchasing the snacks else where. Wow, that popcorn tub is a great way to promote recycling as well.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Here we don't have any special days when movie tickets are cheaper as the price is standard all throughout the year unless there are special promos. Although, some cinemas are a little cheaper than others because the interiors and equipment are a little older and if you really want to save then that is pretty much the best option. Another good way to get discounts here is to sign up for memberships at the more luxurious theaters where you could get a bit of discount on the snack bar items and also a bit of discount on the tickets, which may not seem like a lot at first but if you accumulate all viewings yearly for multiple people it accounts for a substantial amount.

13. shanetx1969

shanetx1969New Member

Threads:
    Wow! You're so right. That really is a good way to recycle! I just wonder if they even realize that? LOL. Having thought more about it, I think they might even do this with the large plastic drinking cups. Maybe this is why my wife has a cabinet full of plastic cups! ;)

14. Basinator

BasinatorNew Member

Threads:
    My local theaters are united, and they all share a client card (free to make), which gives you a 20% discount on all tickets and food. Pretty good.
    Other than that, when going to a theatre in another town or country, I try to bring food from outside of the theatre. When I was up in Finland, the difference in prices was about 3 times! Nobody is going to search you at a theatre.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As far as I know, you can freely sneak in food while you're inside the cinema, so that's one major way to save when going to the movies. But if you ask me, I'd also rather not go to the movies at all. The tickets are expensive in my book.

16. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Virtually all movie rewards programs are favorable to the theaters rather than the members, so they're best avoided. If you go to most theaters on any day of the week before noon, then you can often spend $6 to $9 per ticket, which can be significant savings. I love going to the theater, and I don't see the point of waiting months for something to come out on DVD or Netflix. Prices have stagnated for the past few years in a general range, and there are plenty of ways to save money.

17. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    There is a movie theater that isn't real expensive were I live and they show new movies. I had seen this movie theater many times but never thought about going to it, it's part of the movie tavern franchises. I'm glad I gave them a try because I was in shock for a matinee it was just 3.25 and for after 6pm the price is 5.25