Saving Money Buy No Duplicates

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Ke Gordon • Oct 21, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know about you, but oftentimes I find that I buy something that I already have. You should see how many worchestshire sauces I have! Anyway, try to be organized, check first before buying, before you buy something you already have. Just in cleaning out my car today, I found 3 snow brushes. Two of the cheaper kind and one for heavy duty snow. I bet there is an ice scraper in there as well. I was thinking about buying a snowbrush with a scraper end just the other day.. since it was inexpensive...that would have made 4! We don't usually even get that much snow here in Virginia.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The easiest way to avoid buying duplicates is by staying organized as you say or even better, go round the house one weekend and to make an inventory list. Anytime you want to buy something you can take a look at your list, see what you have and you'll know whether it needs to be replaced or not.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Totally with you - the only way to avoid buying duplicates - is to be organized and keep a list of all the items that are needed - preferably as soon as they start running low or are beginning to wear out - as by doing that - not only does it avoid the possibility of duplicating what you already have - but also saves a huge amount of time and money - as well as avoids the possibility of running out of something prior to the next shopping trip.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh yes, making a list is the key to avoiding duplicates. A few years back, I cleaned out the fridge and discovered I had three barbecue sauces, all the same and all opened! Such a waste of money.

I tend to go in the kitchen with my notepad (I say notepad, in reality, it's usually the back of an envelope as I'm too cheap to pay for paper!) to make my shopping list. Being able to check there and then makes things much easier.

5. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you. Knowing what you have and being organized is the key. I have done the same thing and bought duplicates thinking I didn't have something or not being able to find it and then later on you realize you now have 2 of something. It is such a waste of money. I'm am really trying to be more organized but it just isn't in my nature. I know I need to be and am thinking of reading some books on how best to organize my home. Does anybody have any great suggestions on how to organize a pantry, kitchen, bathroom?

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also agree that staying organized does help you to avoid purchasing duplicates of things you already have and may have to throw out wasted food because you did not get to it before it spoiled. Another way to save money is use items for things they may not have been created for if it is something you will not need often.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ouch, this thread hit me. I'm not really a hoarder but my husband would continually reprimand me for buying stocks particularly that of food items. Open our cupboard (it's actually our kitchen cabinet) and you will find 3 bottles of catsup, 4 bottles of cooking oil, etc. But in fairness to me, those stocks can be called duplicates but they serve us good because we are saved from going to the grocery store every once in a while.

8. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    We always make a list before leaving the house. This is especially true with food since we don't want to be stuck with food that will spoil. Searching through the kitchen for things we might need also helps jog our memory on what not to get again since not everything produced taste good. Yup, it sure pays to be organized.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's ok to buy 2 items of the same kind as reserve when the original stock runs out, but more than that is superfluous already. I sometimes tend to buy a spare stock so that I won't have to drag myself to the store.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I admit I do this sometimes too and it's also because I'm a bit disorganized. I don't mind it so much when I do it for things like ketchup since I know it won't spoil and I will get to finish it sooner or later, but other items aren't as easy to accept when duplicates are bought. I agree with the posts here saying that organization is really the key and nowadays I try to be more mindful of everything before leaving the house and buying stocks, and if I come across an item I'm unsure of, I'll postpone the purchase if I can until I have confirmed it.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind having duplicates of food, because that's basically a stockpile and it eventually gets used. But I hate when I have to buy a replacement of something because I can't find it. After not being able to find my printer cable caused me to spend $20 on a new printer cable, I decided to find, organize and label my cables and chargers. Of course I found my original printer cable. Being organized would have saved me $20.

12. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am sometimes really surprised when I open the cupboard and find I have duplicates of items, and I don't even remember buying them. I mean sometimes if there is a good sale you don't mind stocking up, but you have to remember the items are there when it comes to going to the store. It all comes down to putting like items together and doing a check before you leave home!

13. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Great advice. I often purchase items like condiments when they go on sale, regardless of whether or not we need them. Then I end up with 5 bottles of ketchup in the cupboard, which is a waste of space! I have started to look in the cupboards and deep freezer before I go grocery shopping, in order to make sure that I do not buy more than we need. I still have a hard time not stocking up on items when I see a good deal, though. One way to prevent this for me is simply by staying out of the stores, and using what we already have.

14. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I have a pantry area in my kitchen and I like to have at least one duplicate of everything that can be stored, but I'm careful to organize what has a long shelf life and what does not, hence avoiding to buy more than one duplicate of that short-living item.

Also, depending on what I use more, the amount of extra items; I wouldn't certainly need more than an extra Worcestershire sauce in my pantry, but having 6 tuna cans is likely to be more necessary.

The key fact, in addition to be organized, is not to open what you are not needing. Back to the Worcestershire sauce example, if you are doing a juicy steak and your already opened sauce bottle is not on hand, don't run to open that extra one you have stored.

You better put up on the kitchen's countertop all what your are going to need while cooking.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I very, very rarely buy duplicates because I do exactly what you suggest @Denis Hard. Even with my regular weekly shop, although I have this 'generic' shopping list that's like my template, I always go through my cupboards and fridge to see if I need to leave some items off the list on any given week. I have to watch the pennies, so that too helps hehe :)

16. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think bargain duplicates are fine, because they can come in handy. For example when I dropped a bottle of vinegar it was a good job I had a spare basics bottle. as long as they are not opened and used at the same time it's fine, but if you have a big house then having duplicates can be handy when one is being used or gets broken.

In some ways it saves money, because if something does break then you are forced to find a replacement quickly and don't have time to get one that is a good deal. So having a spare can save time and money.