Saving Money By Going To A Oil Change Place

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Jason76 • Jan 10, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    For between 40 and 100 dollars normally, one can keep an old car in top condition. Otherwise, the various buildups and things within the engine can lead to a car breakdown which might end up costing you more than by using prevention methods. I suppose it's like someone going for doctor checkups to keep from running into major medical problems.

However, an even cheaper method would involve you doing the various prevention methods like changing the oil yourself. Does anyone think that's a better way?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just had our Ford Escape maintained by the Ford dealer shop yesterday. It costs me 8,000 pesos (slightly less than $200). For the change oil and spark plug replacement, it can be done for less than half that amount. However, what I’m after is the checkup. The dealer has a chart on what to check for a preventive maintenance which affords me to avoid a breakdown. Our car has been with us for 4 years now (we bought it in January 2013) and I am satisfied with the preventive maintenance procedures of the dealer.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So I guess what you're saying is that to save money, we should just be hands-on because we will spend less on car maintenance and be able to focus on more pressing needs like food, shelter, education, clothing and whatnot. Anyhow, changing the oil yourself is more cost-efficient. It doesn't take much except a real willingness to know how - and you don't have to be a mechanic to be able to do it. I also think people should spare the time to wash their own car than go to a car wash. Imagine the amount of money you get to save.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I think you were overcharged. In the US, Jiffy Lube only cost me 90 dollars and it may have cost me less if my truck wasn't in such bad shape. Also, some people say Wal-Mart is cheaper and also some independent place might cut you a deal cause they're in competition with name-brand places. Finally, a lot of repairs might be done by yourself if your willing to take the time. Nonetheless, normally professionals do it better.

Anyhow, perhaps one money-saving strategy might involve doing some things yourself, while leaving pros to do the rest.

The job market is already becoming tough. If everyone fixed things themselves, it would be worse.