Saving Money By Not Buying New Clothes For A Few Months?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by NinetyEighty1 • Jan 9, 2018.

1. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know about most of you but my family spends money on new clothes and shoes every few months. It may because I'm not too into fashion but I feel as though that may be a little unnecessary. While I do appreciate new clothes I feel a lot of money could be saved if one would really shop for new clothe perhaps only 2-4 times a year or when old clothes begin to wear out. Do any of you spend frequently on new clothes or have family members who do?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not being frugal with clothes by it is my habit to buy clothes just once or twice a year at the most. But in the recent years, most of the Christmas gifts I received were clothes particularly shirts. I'm not complaining but I have noticed that my dresser closet is now overflowing with shirts and shorts that the gifts I received this last Christmas is still in the wrapper because there's no more space in my closet.

3. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Clothes is our basic need and that is one things we cannot completely negate our spendings on. But we can still be prudent and spend money only a few times a year and still look good with what we wear. I usually buy 2-3 times for myself and my husband, but for my son, we have to spend money more frequently as he grows taller at an alarming rate. However, the key to save money is to buy more good quality stuff which will last and will not fade sooner.

4. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    1418659155-tumblr_m5nrucabuh1rta0duo1_500. I think it's a good idea to go a few months on buying new clothes or even longer maybe, but I think you should get what you need. I like to keep things simple, for instance wearing a pair of pants just one time is a waste- you could wear them several times before you toss them in the laundry. I would also say, you are wasting electricity and detergent-and so, to much washing and drying will wear your clothes out a lot faster anyway.

#4Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I may have new clothes in a year or may be not. I never go with the fashion or whatever is trending. My wife and my youngest daughter are buying as often as they do especially every Saturday. They're buying used clothes and they're cheap.

I may have a new clothes or shirts every Christmas as a gift to ne by my friends. I may actually oblige to get new one when my clothes are already old.

6. Mahi

MahiMember

Threads:
    This is a good way to save money, one should stop buying new clothes on a regular basis. Research proves that today young generation is wasting enough money on their clothing. And they hardly repeat their clothes. Well, I consider buying new clothes for a special festive occasion and in the time of need. Even I opt to purchase them from online portals who provides coupon codes like

to get them at a cheap rate.

7. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    I frequently buy new set of clothes every month. But I don't buy branded clothes because to me, the brand of a clothing does not matter. And that's how I can save money when I buy clothes. I usually buy clothes from the thrift shop, some thrift shops have amazing designs of the clothes and also they have great quality.

8. Eryn

ErynNew Member

Threads:
    I do this as well, although I avoid Goodwill completely. I believe it may be a local issue as every Goodwill here and in surrounding counties is managed by the same person. This is a very low income area overall so the donations given to Goodwill are often cheap and poor quality to begin with. The prices are much too high for used clothing of poor quality. There are two privately owned secondhand clothing stores fairly close so I do shop in those. My husband and I don't buy new clothing. We have many other expenses and our money has more important uses. We run a small animal rescue/sanctuary so I watch every cent. I do the clothing shopping for both of us and I have gotten most of our nice clothing and anything branded from yard sales. The trick I have found with yard sales is catching them when someone with a higher income than mine is having a sale. I do not intend to be insulting towards anyone of low income as I'm certainly not wealthy myself. I just find it to be a better use of my time and money to wait for yard sales in the neighborhoods with more disposable income. This practices has worked very well for us. I tried to order some very low-priced clothing from an online retailer called Lilligal and it is very fortunate I only purchased one low cost item to evaluate before making a large purchase. The clothing item took three months to arrive and it looked nothing like what I ordered. After a bit of research I found out many of the retailers I was seeing ads for with surprisingly low prices were all owned by one large company based in China. The reviews are terrible across the board so I would recommend anyone trying to find cheap clothing online search reviews for the retailer first.

9. Kiama

KiamaMember

Threads:
    Personally I prefer buying second hand clothes from stalls. These clothes are cheap and unique as compared to imported or locally made clothes. I buy second hand clothes and soak them in hot soapy water that contains a disinfectant and when they dry up, they are always as good as new.

10. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Not buying new clothes is a great way to cut your expenses and also save money. Generally speaking, I wear clothes until I cannot wear it no more. For example, when my outdoor wears becomes old, I use it as indoor wears. I will dispose these clothes when they are too old.

11. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely get new clothes since I was in highschool. I managed to shop for clothes twice last year but only few pairs I will need when going to campus. I haven't thought about shopping for clothes this year. It is good to avoid spending too much so we can save. I plan to shop for nice official clothes that I will start going to work with before the year ends.

12. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I used to spend a lot of money on clothes when I was younger but not any more. I tend to spend it on my granddaughter as she is growing so fast and often needs new clothes. If I do buy new clothes for myself after Christmas I would probably be spending the vouchers I got as a gift as I did quite well this year with Amazon vouchers.

13. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    If your work doesn't require a uniform then for sure you would be buying less clothes. However, if your work does have uniform, then you will be forced to buy clothes periodically so as not to wear the same clothes every now and then.

14. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:
    Well, I think it depends on your gender. For men, it is possible to survive with clothes for a longer period of time without buying new ones. For ladies, it is quite the opposite. Women like to look good all the time and therefore, they end up purchasing clothes so frequently. I don't know if this is the case for all women but the ones I know are spendthrifts when it comes to clothes and shoes.

15. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Sounds like one of the best ideas - or you could try a similar thing. It would involve only shopping at consignment shops or Good Will. Anyway, myself, unless it's to impress girls or for a job, I have never seen the need to spend a lot on clothes or spend it that often.

16. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I had not been buying new clothes for years until yesterday, I just bought two new dresses for Chinese New Year. We have the tradition of buying new clothes for Chinese New Year, hence we usually only buy new clothes once a year. But since my husband and I have more than enough clothes to wear, and as a stay-at-home mom, I don't even need any new clothes, we have not been buying new clothes for years, but only buy for our kids. As we have got many hands-me-down for kids, so we don't need to buy new clothes for them except for Chinese New Year too.

Even when I was still working in office, I didn't have the habit of buying new clothes frequently, I had always been wearing the few office wears for years too.

17. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    My family buy clothes all the time. They work hard for their money and enjoy going shopping and looking at all the clothes. When I have money to buy new clothes I enjoy going out and looking around the shops too. It's fun trying on different clothes and choosing what to buy.

18. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Not a family member but a good friend of mine, she has a huge knack for getting new clothes very often. I think she has a full box that she is yet to wear a single cloth from all the ones packed up within it. But that never dampen her from buying more, especially when it's a trending fashion, she is definitely going to buy it at any cost.

Personally, I don't spend on clothes too much. I prefer shoes a little more than clothes, so I try as much as I would to add to my pair of shoes from time to time.

19. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I love to spend on clothes for my family and friends. There was a time i use to give them gifts many times, but just now due to a little financial issue i just have to save little money for some need.

Find out the