Saving Money By Preventing Certificate Errors

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Jason76 • Jan 16, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    The other night, person's computer kept showing certificate errors but I figured out a way to solve the problem. Though not at first apparent, the errors were coming from the fact the computer's date and time were set to 2007 instead of 2017. Therefore, you could not visit a lot of websites easily, and in fact, you could not visit certain major websites like YouTube at all.

However, resetting the time was not the only thing I did. I also reinstalled Mozilla Firefox. However, I'm not sure if that was necessary or not. Note, I could not reinstall Internet Explorer as the particular type of Windows program would not allow it. Therefore, I advised the person to use Facebook and YouTube on the Firefox browser.

Anyhow, now the used computer bought for around 100 dollars runs like a new one practically! :)

2. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    It is amazing how many things on a computer work from the date. Their system restore must have been in a state!

Second hand computers can be a very good buy once you tune them up, and put some new software on them. The only real issue is when the previous user has left their data on it - or their SD card in the drive which has actually happened with a machine I bought!

Congrats on your $100 PC!

3. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It's amazing how a lack of knowledge keeps retail stores, places where people would buy another one to replace something, and repair people busy. However, of course, they need the jobs, though. Nonetheless, I feel like even though some things can be repaired by ourselves, other things are better left to professionals, and of course, people need work. Do you all feel the same way and what percentage of stuff do you repair yourself, as opposed to letting a pro do it?

4. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    When it gets to resoldering a circuit board I'll let a pro do it. Other than that, if it is something like swapping components, software upgrades, OS installs, etc. I'll do those myself.

I'll also taken apart broken mechanical or technological gadgets if they are out of warranty to see if I can fix them. Minor things like springs, screws and cable breaks are usually easy to fix. If they've broken in warranty, then I'll ship it to the experts because I don't see why I should do the work and void the warranty if something else breaks!

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That happened to my computer some years back. I couldn't explain what happened but it may be related to the fact that several people usedvmy computer when we went on vacation abroad. Some sites couldn't be accessed due to certificate error and there is also the filter error which I don't fully understand. After an hour or so of investigation, I was lucky to spot the wrong date. I wonder why an old year could wreak havoc. As a lesson, restrict the use of my computer.

6. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This sounds like something that I should be doing, but it is just a little bit over my head. That said, though, I know now that I need to learn it so I can start to save some more.