Saving money by switching to vegetarian?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by andrew320 • May 28, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Every year, my fiancee and I cleanse our body for six months. During this spring/summer cleanse, we limit our meat intake by only eating chicken. When we purchase chicken breasts, we cut up each breast in half and add it to our pastas, Indian/Thai stews and other dishes. We eat a lot more fruits and vegetables and avoid eating cookies, doughnuts, cakes, etc.

Upon looking at our grocery bill, we haven't noticed any difference in the price. If you have one bill full of soda, cookies and chips and have one bill full of apples, carrots and orange juice, you won't notice a difference in the cost. What happens

My question: can you save money by going completely vegetarian and eating healthy? We spend about $45 per week on food together right now and the only "bad thing" for us is vanilla frozen yogurt (bi-weekly). My dessert mostly consists of cereal and fortified soya.

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    It sounds as if fruit and vegetables are quite expensive where you live. One way to save on them is to buy from street markets rather than supermarkets, and only buy produce when it's in season. It will be much cheaper, and also taste so much better. I don't think you'd save a great deal by going completely vegetarian. It sounds as if your present way of eating suits you both, so maybe it's best to stick with it.

I save on food bills by making a vegetable soup once a week and having that for the main meal of the day with some crusty bread or crackers. It's a great way to use up odds and ends of leftover vegetables, and you can put in more or less anything. Use chopped fresh or canned tomatoes as a base, and add some chickpeas or brown rice for filling power and flavour.