Saving Money On Clothing

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by tasha • Jun 11, 2015.

1. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    It is so expensive to buy clothing especially when you have kids that just grow too fast and a good way to save on clothing is to keep the clothes that your kids have outgrown for the younger ones to get handed down to. You can also take a small dress and turn it into a skirt for your daughter in that way you are getting a new outfit out of an old one. Look at specials in stores where you can get two for the price of one and ask a friend to buy in with you.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this is in the wrong category. Anyway, I agree with you, keeping hand me down clothes to be used by the younger sibling is what most parents do to be able to save money. If the clothes like pants are too long or too big, then you can simply have them altered by a tailor.

3. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes a good idea. I have had to make some maternity clothing as they are so expensive and the baby costs enough as it is, so turning old clothes into maternity wear has been fun and cheaper

4. shrinkwatson

shrinkwatsonNew Member

Threads:
    i am agree with you . yes it's a good idea to save money .I also wear my sisters dresses in my childhood.

5. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    LOL. I gained some weight pre-pregnancy so I had a couple of pants I wanted to fit back into "some day". Then I got pregnant and I was going to get rid of them, but I saw how expensive maternity clothes was, so I cut off the tops of the pants and sewed some tops on them so make them into maternity jumpers. My partner would always ask when I bought them. LOLOL

To the OP the sharing a sale with a friend is a great tip. I like to shop clearances and certain sale seasons. Luckily, I have a little kid so when he gets clothes for his birthday his fmaily always gets sizes wrong so he still has clothes he has yet to fit into. LOL

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    If you have more than one child, or think that you may have another child in the future, then saving their clothes can be a good idea, as a lot of them are high quality items that would look great on another child. You could also talk to friends and family who have children and ask them to save items for you that their children have grown out of. I wore a lot of second hand things as a child, and that fact didn't even cross my mind, so it won't bother them. The clothes are new to them, which is pretty much as good as being completely new full stop.

7. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    Lol that's a good idea and never really thought about that one but it would work with some of my pants as they don't fit at all now and I don't want to buy more. Kids are lucky because family always get the clothes for them but it is the adults that need it sometimes and it is just not affordable.

8. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    My mother has saved money by doing that. However, we never had new clothes. It was always hand-downs fro her friends.
    Me and my sister got picked on at school because we did not wear any brand clothes and back then that was very important here in Germany, otherwise you were isolated very quickly.
    As a mother of three small children now myself, I try to keep a balnce. For example, I do keep clothes from my oldest and pass it on to her sister, but I also try to buy new nice clothes every now and then and sometimes my friends give me the clothes that do nto fit their kids anymore.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Or you could sign up for Walmart.com free account and today they are having clothes sale! I signed up and got the info in my email and I'm planning to go to Walmart today for I need socks and other things. You get the latest sales and roll back when you sign up for Walmart's online account, it's so much easier to get bargains this way for they always got roll backs going on too!

10. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    It’s about making the right decisions. It has always been a common practice among parents to hand over clothing from their older children to their younger siblings. Having dressmaking or sewing experience is also a good thing because you can transform old clothes into new outfits. If you don’t have younger children who could use the clothes your older children have outgrown, you can always try to sell them online or on a garage sale to make a few extra bucks which you can then use to buy new clothes.

11. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I don't shop for clothes too often, but one place I like to look at is called Woman Within. They have an online store and a mail order catalog, and they push lots of sales. I have been focused on saving money lately so I have not been buying any new clothes. They really want my repeat business and have been sending out better and better deals. I bit on one deal a few days ago and went to their site to look at the clearance. Well even though it was clearance, the price was up around $10 when the shipping what figured in. So I let it go. Holy Cow, they came back with a better offer 2.99 shipping and 60% off anything in the store. So I just had to partake. It was my birthday anyway! I got a nice blouse for $11 inclucing shipping. Really cute, I love it. Moral to the story. Make them work for your money. Don't be too hasty to purchase!!

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although that would be a good idea, my only concern is if I only have two children and they happen to be a girl and a boy. If their still in their elementary, recycling clothes would be okay. But once the kids hit puberty, the younger one might no longer benefit from the older's one clothes seeing as they have different biological structures.

13. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    In terms of kids clothing I save all of my oldest's clothes, providing they are in good shape. I save so much money doing this for my youngest. He mostly wears hand me downs or for his birthday or Christmas he'll ask for special hoodies or jerseys. He doesn't mind at all. Once he outgrows the clothes I take them to a kids consignment shop and sell them. I get 40% of what they sell it for which isn't bad. For my oldest I mostly bought Children's Place clothes which are well made and classic style. I figure two kids have worn them and I probably got the clothes on sale and now I'm still able to get some money back when I resell them.

14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I save money buy going on sites like Listia and OfferUp to try to get some used clothes. It is hard to get a lot of free clothes, but they do trickle down here and there. I also go to thrift shops and on their sale dates. Ask the store associates and they will tell you when they get new shipments. That helps you get the best picks at thrift shops.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Saving clothes for the second or third child does save money. I do sew a little so that has helped to save money when my girls were smaller, also going to the second hand store helps to stretch the budget.

16. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    Like one of the posters mentioned, garage sales are great for clothing. Another big option in my town is the local church thrigt store. Many folks find school clothing for their kids here. The store carries clothing from infants through adulthood.

17. bmiller1357

bmiller1357New Member

Threads:
    I raised three kids and the way I used to buy clothes on clearance for the next year. I have two boys so there was some hand me downs but I didn't think it was fair to my younger son to have to always wear his older brother's clothes. My daughter didn't grow very fast so she could wear the same clothes for a couple of years. Before I could buy summer clothes for the next year, i had to wait until they got a little older and I could judge how much they would grow over the winter, and visa versa.

18. Sydney M.

Sydney M.Member

Threads:
    Being a teenager with a very limited amount of cash to spend on new clothing, I have become pretty good at up cycling old clothing/items I already have laying around. For children, I would first advise that you don't spend too much money on name brand clothing to begin with. I have seen parents blow large sums of money on name brand clothes for their kids, but then their child has outgrown it within a few months. Next, try making some things yourself. I foe don't know how to sew, try using liquid stitch to fix small holes or rips in clothing. Personalize jeans (I love adding rips to skinny jeans) or cut longer pants into shorts if they aren't long enough for you, but still fit your waist. Try using RIT dye to give a new look to old t-shirts and light-colored clothing (or even sneakers!). Add beading, fabric-paint, new embroidered designs, knit something, etc. And, of course, save the clothing that is still in good condition for younger kids/family members, or sell it to a friend or on eBay.

19. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With the growing boys, I don't see much problem because I have 8 brothers who were sharing their clothes when they were teenagers. The older ones would be bought new clothes and their old clothes would be inherited by the younger ones. But with the girls, I am the youngest so I wouldn't agree to that scheme of inheritance. I was lucky to be my father's favorite so I had my own wardrobe. Clothing is very important to a girl especially to teenagers who have a fashion sense of their own.

20. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Yup. My aunt's younger son is just 6 years old and he just grows a lot faster and she often buys him dress. She always make a fuss out of it and keeps complaining about it for the expenses she spends on buying clothes for him frequently.