Saving Money On Gifts: Making Treats

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Zyni • Aug 21, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So, I came across an article earlier that I had forgotten about. I had seen it in the past, and it was for candy I wanted to make. I thought at the time that the candies would make good gift, but hey, holidays weren't really on my radar at the time. Things were crazy. When I saw it again, it reminded me. So, I thought I'd post it here in case it would be helpful for anyone else who likes to make some homemade gifts.

I picture these

all wrapped up pretty, making great gifts to go along with other candies or cookies for the holidays.

What do you think?

2. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well homemade candy would certainly be a home run if I ever got the chance. I have never really made my own candy at home, but it would really be a perfect gift idea, so I think I might just have to look a little more into it now. I know that I typically like to receive gifts like this over any random material object, so I am sure that a lot of other people are the same way. Thanks for sharing.

3. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I really think that personally made treats as gifts are really sweet because of the effort exerted by the gift giver in making them. Personally made treats such as candies are very unique especially if the gift giver applies his/her own style in his/her creations. My cousin also does that a lot. He bakes some cookies at home and give them out as treats to his clients as a way of thanking them for their patronage on his services. :)

4. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    That's a great gift to give in my opinion. Last Christmas I made cookies, chutneys, sauces, fudge, cakes, mince pies, rocky road, truffles and chocolate barks to give to people. I think jelly candies would be a great addition to what I give people already. I might just have to test out that idea and see what people think!

I've seen people making alcoholic things out of candies too, such as skittles vodka or gummy bears soaked in vodka. I haven't tried either of those things myself but I think those could make great more adult gifts for people with a sweet tooth!

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love jelly beans, this is something I will be trying later during the holidays. I usually make cake and cookies to give as a gift. If I make these I may end up eating them all for myself.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    While I personally prefer chocolates, I just thought these looked festive. They are pretty and colorful, and they do sound tasty. I know several people who like gummies and jellies and that kind of thing, so I think they could work. Also, as noted, they could also be an addition to homemade gift treats that are already on the list.

The colorful appearance would also be pretty for filling candy dishes if you're having people over. These aren't usually my taste, but for some reason, this particular recipe jumped right out at me.

They are made with 100% juice, so I think that's better than all the other junk. You could even sneak some vegetable juice in there or a fruit and vegetable blend. I know some kids who will be getting some of these for the holidays. :)

7. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I think its a great idea. Especially if its someone you don't usually spend a lot on. You can also make homemade body scrubs and lotions. All you need is a cute jar it put it in and its something you can easily buy. I love getting things like this or DIY food items as party favors. One of my favorites was homemade hot chocolate with candy canes and marshmallows already in them.

8. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I love home-made gift treats and especially gift baskets full of cookies. One of my friends once made home-made chocolate for us as a present and that was delicious. Any type of good treat and especially home-made is a very sweet gesture since time and love went into it. I really do appreciate that. It does cost work but at least you save money because I know that boxes of chocolates cost very expensive.

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to make yam jelly and cassava cake as gifts to neighbors and relatives. It is a great savings compared to buying gifts. Much more, it is gratifying to hear the positive comments on those treats I prepared. Unfortunately, I don't have the energy to cook that much during the holiday season so my alternative is to buy items like bags and purse for my gifts.

10. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Generally speaking candy making or its term is concerned, confectionary may take various product depending on the raw materials used. For a variety in giving gifts, candies are the best option. Adult also love candies not only for the kids. Just across our humble home, we have a neighbor who is making candies for a living. She uses coconut meat, root crops, banana, and the like for her candies and they are selling like hot cakes.

11. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Wow. Lots of you are creative in here. While it is tradotional here to gift home made stuff on certain occassions, I have not been able to make much progress in this matter due to time constraints.

The efforts put in it is just too much in my opinion unless of course you have time in your hands. I do love to cook and share but time is always against me.

It is indeed a great relief on the pocket to distribute home made stuffs.

12. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I think that home made treats are more delicious than store bought treats any day. My aunt makes home made cookies and candy which are superb I just can't get enough of them. When she gives them out as gifts she wraps them up so nicely it even hurts to mess it up but I can't resist.

13. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have a nice little list of things that I can make instead of going out and giving a gift. They usually work better to as most people would rather have food than a little trinket.