Saving Money On Insect Killer

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Rosyrain • Apr 26, 2017.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I figured since I posted about weed killers, I should also create a thread for insect killer as well. I am working on getting my vegetable garden up and running and could use some advice on how to make insect killers or repellents at home. I was researching online and bug repellent is expensive. I have strawberries, Apple trees, pear trees, and an assortment of vegetables starting to grow and need to keep the bugs away from my plants.

2. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    We never have tried those homemade remedies for insects because the folks at home would rather spend $4 on a can of Baygon, but upon researching online, here is a complliation of DIY homemade insect repellents, try to check it out:

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just found out about coffee grinds being very good for keeping away bugs

The link is a very good article about it. Coffee grinds also is good way to keep your freezer and refrigerator from smells too! Coffee grinds is something I always toss out, not any longer though. Living in Hawaii we got lots of pests and they find their way in homes too. So I keep coffee grinds now at places that I notice pests pop up in home and it works! Good luck in your garden! Using coffee grinds will save money and give you wonderful veggies and fruits.

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you so much for your feedback. I am going to try it. I used to see bags of coffee grounds at Starbucks that were free for customers to take, they said "grounds for your garden" but I never really knew what they did for the garden. I drink a lot of coffee at home so I am going to give this a try. This is the first year that I will have a full vegetable garden and I want to make sure that it flourishes.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a good thread for those living in tropical countries like me. A few months ago, we were attacked by bed bugs. Until now we don’t know how those bedbugs were able to build a nest under our mattress. We used insecticide but after a month, there goes the nest again. And then we got an advice to use cane vinegar (contemporary of apple cider vinegar). It was great because the bedbugs did not come back anymore. I have learned that cane vinegar is also good in the garden against pests like aphids and even termites that sometimes attack our mango tree. Cane vinegar is way much cheaper than chemical insecticides.

6. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think it is not only saving money to make our own bug repellent, but also to save the environment and good for the plants too as we are using lesser chemical products. I have read that putting onions or garlic do help to get rid of the bugs, but I think it also depends what kind of bugs they are, as these do not help me much.

I will try out the coffee grinds too as my husband is drinking coffee every day, so I can make good use of them. :)