Saving money..getting your haircut at cutting classes.

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by irishways • May 22, 2014.

1. irishways

irishwaysNew Member

Threads:
    Getting your hair cut at a cutting class can be a great way to save money. Now, personally I would go for the most reputable salons in your area, but you may find that a passionate trainee can do a better job than a demotivated, but experienced stylist. I know a woman in London who gets her hair done at the Sassoon Academy and she wouldn't go anywhere else.

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never tried that, but I did cut my hair once with an apprentice at a salon. However, she didn't have the expertise to cut my bangs the way I wanted and I had to go back the next day for someone else to cut them for me. All in all, I think it's not worth the economy if you don't get a quality haircut.

3. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    This is very possible although I never had an opportunity to have my hair cut at a school for hairdressers since there was none near my place. Students of these schools always need a model to practice on. If the service needed is just a trim or a simple cut, then you can risk having an apprentice do the job. It's free anyway, so might as well take advantage while it's available. For styled cuts, I may not risk it. It takes too long to grow enough hair to restyle and fix what has been damaged.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to get my hair done at a beauty school to save money. I would get perms, cuts, or color. I was very happy with the results. I was never disappointed with the results. Some of the students were a little unpolished, but I'm sure they will get better with time and exposure to real customers.

5. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have never done this, but I have friends who do and have spent $15 for an amazing set of highlights and cut. Personally it's not my thing and I think I would only do it if I was really broke, but I think it's a great way to save money. From what I have heard the students are overseen by professionals and the only downside can be that the whole process takes awhile because the students are learning throughout the entire hair cut.

6. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I get my hair cut at one of those discount cutting chains called Great Clips. I have only had a bad cut once. I have been going for 15 years in two cities, and with a whole slew of different people in that length of time. I can only count on one hand how many people have ever been the same. I call those outstanding statistics, for sure!

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My daughter is an instructor at a hair salon school for at least 10 yrs. People go the school to save money and it gives the students the chance to get hands on experience before they go out into the real world.

The savings is good and you can get some good people to provide services for you.

8. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure I would risk going to a trainee to work on my hair. I'm very picky when it comes to the cut of my hair because I can easily look tired when my hairstyle is not appropriate for me. Also, I have had so many horror stories with failed hairstyling and I'm not in a position right now in which I can afford to sport an ugly hair style. My work is very strict and we are not allowed to have weirdo hairstyles.

I think it's still better to go to your hairstylist, someone who knows very well what you like and who knows how to work with the texture of your hair too.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It kind of depends on what you need.

A simple trim every so often? YES, definitely get it done at a beauty school. It's so cheap.

If you're going for a brand new style that you've never tried before like chopping off 12 inches and adding layers? Go somewhere that you can trust a bit more.

10. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I've actually helped my friend out a few times when she was practicing before getting her license. Since I always get my hair buzzed, any mistakes weren't a big deal at all. But I imagine for most people who care about their hair, it's a risky prospect to trust someone who's still learning to be a stylist. Even if you do save a bit of money.