Saving On Electricity

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Denis Hard • Dec 15, 2014.

1. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When working on my computer in a lower level of the house I need more light, I have plants that need a grow light during the day. We also keep a night light on for anyone that needs to get up during the night. Trying to keep the bill lower takes some work, the temperature is set for 68 during the day and about 66 at night unless it is very cold out.

2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I unplug EVERYTHING when I leave the house. The only thing I keep plugged in is my refrigerator. Everything else is unplugged (including my stove). Yes, it takes time but eventually you figure out a system to simply things. I used to have power strips but realized it still drained energy. I've dramatically dropped my bill from a year ago.

3. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    We have lots of lights in our house and it is one of the main contributors of electric charge before. But right now we have change our lights to a much energy efficient led lights to save money. They last longer. We also make sure to turn off the light when we are going to sleep and during morning when we are in the office. We only used them when needed.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I suggest, in saving electricity, we should unplug each appliances because more or less the electricity is still active in 0.5 amount per second. Second is, figure out some alternatives in reducing the electricity such as the "Solar bulb" instead of LED. Solar bulb is much convenient and safer to use but otherwise the best thing to do is have the discipline because if all the appliances are in use, it is obviously not much healthy for you.

5. Xenokitten

XenokittenNew Member

Threads:
    Home automation is a great way to save on electricity as well. And it does not have to cost a fortune to automate your home. Check out Signul - it costs only $50.

and with it you can turn on/off your lights and heating to make your home comfortable when you are about to come home, but keep it off while you work. Without automation, you likely run your heater or airconditioning unit 8 hours a day while you work, because you don't want to come home to find your house uncomfortable. With Signul you can save a ton on your utility bills. It's the first affordable way to automate your home, making automation possible for middle-class average everyday families.

6. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    Personally, I only keep on about two lights in the house, an outdoor light, and my nightlight on throughout night. I should probably start keeping my computer off too, but I'm so accustomed to keeping it on sleep constantly.

I wonder how much is wasted from leaving a television on. A family member does this, and it's irritating.