Saving on Gas Tips?

Discussion in Travel started by SEA81 • Sep 18, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    Getting ready to go on a trip that I really can't afford, but I must take it...

Anyone have any ways to save on gas???

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If it's interstate, set your cruise control. By not constantly revving up and then braking, you'll stay more consistent and save gas.

Also, don't go faster than you need to. You may want to go 75 to get there faster, but going 70 or 65 will save you on gas.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Remember that extra weight in the car affects fuel economy, so don't carry anything unnecessary. Also, use your gears to slow down, rather than relying on the brakes. This will conserve fuel and save money on brake pads. Around 55 - 60 mph is the optimum economy speed, so allow enough time to do that speed. Mind you, you'll probably get fed up and want a little 'blast' every now and then, but do remember high speeds drink up to 20% more gas. Be sure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure as well. Have a good trip!

4. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    1) Cruise control helps. It keeps you steady.
    2) Go lower than the posted speed limit. The faster you drive, the more gas you consume.
    3) Make sure your car has had a tune up: the air filter is clean, the spark plugs are working properly, your tires are properly inflated. All these things will help you get better gas mileage.
    4) Don't drive like a jerk: quick acceleration, sharp braking, etc.

Enjoy your trip!

5. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I would say get a tune up first, fill up your tank, stay within the speed limit try to take a direct route to your destination, try not to use the a/c if you do not have to (and you do not have to). Also ensure that the air pressure in your tires is what it should be.

6. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    Anyone know about the fuel economy savings of taking only right turns? I hear UPS does that.

7. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tips, everyone!! I also found out that gas in the state I'm going to is way cheaper than the gas in my state, so I'm going to try to do as much filling up there as possible.

8. catevanne

catevanneMember

Threads:
    I have also wondered if gas additives like STP make any difference. There are lots of fuel additives on the market, and it seems silly to spend on them with gas as high as it is. But you might do some research and find out if they could help.

9. englerja

englerjaMember

Threads:
    Another tip we always use while going on vacation is to take advantage of the fuel discounts you can get at some grocery stores. I know our local Lowes Foods offers this. For every $100 you spend you get a .5 cent reduction in gas. We used this when going to Disney World this year. We actually paid for our Disney trip with giftcards we bought at Lowes Foods. This enabled us to get gas for free our entire drive to Florida. May be worth looking into.

10. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    This is definitely a good one. It might be a little too late for this trip, but for future trips check the grocery stores in your air to see what type of fuel discounts they offer when you purchase groceries there. Bi-Lo offers fuel perks and in our area, Piggly Wiggly does as well. You just have to find out which gas stations are a part of the network.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our local Safeway store offers a discount on gas if you are a member of their club and purchase more than $100 worth of groceries. With the prices of gas changing every week I find that Safeway is still has the least expensive around here.

12. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    If your traveling for a long period of time always use cruise control. I travel a lot to NY, but gas prices are lower where I live, so I make sure to full up my tank in NJ before going to NY. Also, I use a fuel discounts to lower the cost.

13. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    Didn't read all the tips, but remember to have your tires properly inflated. This will help to save gas. Be safe. Enjpy.