Saving On Makeup

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by danielle davidson • Jul 1, 2015.

1. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    When you guys shop for makeup do you like looking for the deals? I know that that's the first place I go. There are usually some pretty good deals at CVS which is the main place that I get my makeup. I mean I love makeup, but I don't love how expensive it can be sometimes. Sometimes I will also get cupons that I will use, and that helps to keep the cost low. So, how do you find inexpensive makeup?

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m in a replacement-buy-only phase at the moment. But when I do buy makeup, I usually get it from Target, and I try to wait around for coupons as well. I will not lie though, I’ve been known to drive to three different locations to locate a certain shade of a product. And I can’t say I won’t do it again, haha. On the plus side, it does tell you where the better deals are for certain brands.

A subscription box can be another option, especially if you don’t have much of a collection and/or you’d like to branch out. But from what I’ve heard, they start to lose their worth once you’ve subscribed for long enough, so caveat emptor.

3. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    Amazon is the best place for great deals on name brand make-up. I used to buy my foundation at Ulta for $30 a pop, but found the exact same brand and size on Amazon for $14! It was all over after that find, now I find all of my regular makeup there for about half the price. It's always a great deal as long as I know exactly what I'm looking for. I go for tried and true rather than new stuff because I can't test it first.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For things like pencils and blushers I don't mind buying cheap ones. Forever 21 do some for a dollar or two and CVS is great for some bargains too. I'm sure you are with the Beauty Club where you get money back ($5) when you spend $50 on any beauty items including shampoo.

I also like Sephora and they do a clearance section online which can be great value. Again, they have a loyalty scheme so you can get discounts and samples. You can sign up online.

5. danielle davidson

Threads:
    Wow, that is an amazing price! I think that I am going to have to check that out. I am always looking for a new place that I can find cheap makeup. I feel like today makeup is so overpriced. That's why I try to find the stuff that is on sale. I'm not picky when it comes to makeup expect for the foundation that I use. I will be looking there ASAP!

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've gotten some really nice lotions and creams (facial, and some body, also) at Marshall's and Tuesday Morning. They have name brands at discounts, as well as some high end shampoos and other hair products. It's a great way to test out higher priced products than you usually buy, then, since their stock changes, you could look on Amazon for replacements when you find ones you want to buy again. I've found that if you use good skin care products, you can usually pay less for the actual makeup.

7. danielle davidson

Threads:
    That's a good place to look! I'll have to look there because Marshall's is a good place to shop. I love going there because of all the great deals that I know I can get. I shop there a lot for clothes, but I didn't think that they would have lotions and creams. I'm going to have to check that out.

8. Adrianna

AdriannaNew Member

Threads:
    The only thing about cheap makeup is that the pigments are not that high. Generally you get what you pay for. You need to use more and apply more often. It's worth it to try to see how they are. Revlon and Milani are pretty good. The pigment is average to better. Sometimes I get the buy on get one at Walgreens. The Loreal mineral powder foundation is really great. It is actually better than most expensive ones. The primer is the key. I've tried almost every brand from the top to the bottom.
    I wish the department stores would have discounts on their makeup. The only good thing about there is all the samples they add with your purchase.

9. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I used to use that when my skin was oilier. It was good stuff indeed, but my skin became more prone to dry patches and I had to switch to liquid foundation. I kind of miss the powder, it was so easy to use and it took so little time.

I do still swear by L’Oreal’s felt tip liquid eyeliner though, for sure. I’ll sometimes try other brands for colored liquid liners, but that’s the only black one I’ll buy.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't save all that much to be honest... I live high end makeup and that is the one thing I don't always look for deals. I love shopping at sephora and Mac. Of course, if I find stuff on sale I'm all about it, but I don't make an effort to only buy when the price is off as I do with clothes and shoes.

11. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really wear make-up very often, for two reasons. The first is that I don't believe that it does your skin any good in the long term, and the second reason is because of the money it costs to carry on with the make-up once you've started it. Whenever I do buy it, I will always wait until there is an offer on and then stock up on the products - and what I buy really can last me for ages thanks to the fact that I don't wear it all that often, as I mentioned above.

12. Diane Lane

Threads:
    It's a great place to pick up gift items, as well. They have bath and body products, shampoos and hair products as I mentioned before, as well as styling tools. The brands they carry are high end brands, but at discount prices. They (at least here) have Home Goods in side the Marshall's stores, also, so carry some nice glass and china dishware, smaller kitchen appliances, pots and pans (the good brands), and also home decor. I get quite a bit of my home goods from there, as well as TJ maxx. Tuesday Morning also has the same type of items. All 3 stores are fabulous places to buy sheets, towels, rugs, and pillows, too.

13. danielle davidson

Threads:
    I mean I know that the best makeup is the more expensive stuff. One time my mom bought me this foundation that was $50. And yeah it did work well, and it also was able to last me a long time. That was the only good thing about it. I did find some other foundation that did work just as well. I mean yes, the high-end stuff is good. You can sometimes find stuff that is cheap though.

14. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I do like looking for deals. Shopko and Walgreens usually have good ones in my area. I also like looking for coupons online. DontPayFull.com has a good database for coupons on just about anything.

15. Diane Lane

Threads:
    A lot of the mid-market and sometimes lower end market products are made by the high end companies. Lancome makes L'Oreal (or actually, it seems L'Oreal makes Lancome?), so the formulations are probably similar, although I'm sure the Lancome uses more expensive ingredients. I used to use Lancome when I had money, but I've switched to L'Oreal and a few other brands mixed in together, and am pretty happy.

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For my foundation, concealer and powder, I really prefer more high end brands. I love my YSL Touche Eclat or Mac. I'm so very happy at how nicely the ladies matched me up, the foundation is spot on. Both brands are a little pricey, but if I can get them for cheaper online, especially from reputable sites like Sephora and Amazon, I'll do it in a heartbeat. For my other stuff like eye liner, liquid liner, mascara etc, I'm really not all that fussed. I tend to use Kohl and L'oreal, but whatever works, I'll use :)

17. danielle davidson

Threads:
    @dianelane yeah, I mean there are some good products out there that are cheap. I think it's all about what you like though. Some people don't mind spending a ton of money on makeup while others do mind. When I look for makeup I try to not spend so much money. I know that I can do the same thing with less expensive makeup as with expensive makeup. For the most part, I use eyeshadow, foundation, eyeliner, and mascara. So, I'm not doing anything huge to my face. I'm find with using the less expensive brands with makeup.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    A good tactic you could employ would be to find sellers on ebay or Craigslist that sell makeup in bulk, usually done by distributors looking for resellers. If you know you are going to use a particular type of makeup for a very long time then it might be worth looking into buying lots of them for a substantial discount. You could even resell the remaining amount you don't think you'll need to your friends and if you put a small profit on it that's just enough to get you some of your cash back while still making the products cheaper than the market price then you could offset some of the expenses of your own purchase.

19. danielle davidson

Threads:
    @DrRipley@DrRipley Oh yeah, I didn't think about that. That would actually make sense when you think about it. That would be good for me to do if I wanted to get eyeliner. I go through it so fast that it would be good if I bought that in bulk. Yeah, I'm sure that some of my friends would want some too, I'll have to think about doing that the next time I buy makeup.